Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Mobile - multiple report suits

Level 5

Is there a way to have more than one report suit linked to an app?

We have multiple websites and each of them has its own report suit in the extension but also a universal one that is present in all of them so we can have a master report and know the user flow between all our products (shown below).
Captura de ecrã 2022-06-24 161521.png

However, I also need to see the flow including an app (the app has links leading to some of the websites). I thought about also adding the general report suit to the app one like we do with the web ones but there is no option for that in the mobile services and in launch it is not allowed as the general one is not an app RS.
Captura de ecrã 2022-06-24 161613.png

How can I track the users that are visiting our other websites from the app? Can I do like we have been doing in the desktop products or would the option be to use specific UTMs for the the app and track those on analytics?
thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @fern1,

I definitely have had multiple "dev" suites attached to my mobile apps at one point (when we were starting our apps, I wanted a "clean" suite in which to play around with processing rules and testing data in isolation of out global suite set up.

I think the reason it's not allowing you to add your website suite is just a matter of configuring your suite to accept mobile app data. There should be instructions for how to turn that on from the link that was provided in your screenshot.

This leads me to an aside (I will get to your last question next), but not to throw a wrench into your plans and setups... but have you considered just using one global suite, and creating virtual suites?

This is how I have our systems set up... I have 31 "brands" (31 core websites, each brand has multiple "extended content" sites, and 3 of these brands has a mobile app).... all feeding into one global suite. I have a virtual report suite for each brand's "core website", I have virtual suites for "all extended content", I have virtual suites to group some of the extended content together for that particular business unit who want to see that content aggregated, I have a virtual suite for mobile apps, etc....

This way I can see all the data together, or break it out to the individual piece that I need... and I am no longer incurring the cost of multiple server calls for tracking going to multiple suites.

This significantly reduces tracking complexity and costs.. and at the end of the day, the decision is yours to make.. but it is something I recommend considering.

Now, back to your last question about tracking people who go from the app to the website.

You can use visitorAppendToURL (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/mobile-services/ios/sdk-reference-ios/hybrid-app.html?lang=e... there is a similar code for Android as well) to append the user's ECID to the web call, that you can then use to properly map the app user's ID to the website. If you want to add additional "campaigning" you can.. but I would probably avoid UTMs as that is reserved for "external" campaigns... I would be more likely to go with an ITM (internal tracking campaign) and creating specific tracking around that... but asking your devs to append this to every url may get troublesome....

I am not sure the nature of your app... when you click on a web link... is the website opening within the native app as a webview? Or taking people right out of the app and into their default browser?

If the first, then you can actually do something else entirely! I had our developers follow a similar implementation that many social media apps are using, and I had them modify the app's User Agent string by appending a recognizable item to the end.... 

So let's use the Facebook app for instance...

When a user opens a webpage within their webview, the user agent string users the user agent of the default browser on the device:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 13_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15E148

Within the app, they append some extra data to the end like so:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 13_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15E148 [FBAN/FBIOS]

We used a similar behaviour, appending a custom value to the end of the user agent... then I just use a processing rule to check if the user agent content [***] (whatever my devs appended) and map that into a tracking parameter as being a webview from our own app (I also mapped in known Social Media apps in the same way so that I could attribute a lot of our "direct traffic" back to known social media apps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

@fern1, Tagging in a friend here (@Jennifer_Dungan), but I am remembering from my old days of implementation guidance that it was possible to tie more than one report suite into an app, specifically because of production and development environments.  That being said, it's been more than a few years since I've been in that role, and since I don't have the practical experience to apply here, I believe it would be best to bring in someone who has the coding background to advise or at least move you in the right direction.

Jeff Bloomer

Level 5

Thank you Jeff! Hopefully, Jennifer or someone else can help me out with that!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @fern1,

I definitely have had multiple "dev" suites attached to my mobile apps at one point (when we were starting our apps, I wanted a "clean" suite in which to play around with processing rules and testing data in isolation of out global suite set up.

I think the reason it's not allowing you to add your website suite is just a matter of configuring your suite to accept mobile app data. There should be instructions for how to turn that on from the link that was provided in your screenshot.

This leads me to an aside (I will get to your last question next), but not to throw a wrench into your plans and setups... but have you considered just using one global suite, and creating virtual suites?

This is how I have our systems set up... I have 31 "brands" (31 core websites, each brand has multiple "extended content" sites, and 3 of these brands has a mobile app).... all feeding into one global suite. I have a virtual report suite for each brand's "core website", I have virtual suites for "all extended content", I have virtual suites to group some of the extended content together for that particular business unit who want to see that content aggregated, I have a virtual suite for mobile apps, etc....

This way I can see all the data together, or break it out to the individual piece that I need... and I am no longer incurring the cost of multiple server calls for tracking going to multiple suites.

This significantly reduces tracking complexity and costs.. and at the end of the day, the decision is yours to make.. but it is something I recommend considering.

Now, back to your last question about tracking people who go from the app to the website.

You can use visitorAppendToURL (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/mobile-services/ios/sdk-reference-ios/hybrid-app.html?lang=e... there is a similar code for Android as well) to append the user's ECID to the web call, that you can then use to properly map the app user's ID to the website. If you want to add additional "campaigning" you can.. but I would probably avoid UTMs as that is reserved for "external" campaigns... I would be more likely to go with an ITM (internal tracking campaign) and creating specific tracking around that... but asking your devs to append this to every url may get troublesome....

I am not sure the nature of your app... when you click on a web link... is the website opening within the native app as a webview? Or taking people right out of the app and into their default browser?

If the first, then you can actually do something else entirely! I had our developers follow a similar implementation that many social media apps are using, and I had them modify the app's User Agent string by appending a recognizable item to the end.... 

So let's use the Facebook app for instance...

When a user opens a webpage within their webview, the user agent string users the user agent of the default browser on the device:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 13_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15E148

Within the app, they append some extra data to the end like so:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 13_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15E148 [FBAN/FBIOS]

We used a similar behaviour, appending a custom value to the end of the user agent... then I just use a processing rule to check if the user agent content [***] (whatever my devs appended) and map that into a tracking parameter as being a webview from our own app (I also mapped in known Social Media apps in the same way so that I could attribute a lot of our "direct traffic" back to known social media apps.

Level 5

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan!

First, thank you so much for your helo, I appreciate it. 
I quickly just looked into virtual reports and think this will be the best solution for us also as we have around 14 websites and 3 apps under our umbrella. I´m having an Adobe training soon and will bring this topic up as this is new to me and I don´t know yet what changes will have to be done in our previous setup.

And about the last question, there is exactly the case. In our app, when someone clicks on another product we offer, a webpage is open within the app. We now need to know how many users are actually visiting the website within the app. I think your solution will do the trick.
But just a last question, doing the users agent string option, will I be able to see this data in a flow? for instance, from the app, the users go to the website but from the website, they can also get extra info, which comes from our main portal for example. In this case, the journey is app/website/website-portal... would be interesting to have the possible paths in a flow. 

thank you again!

Community Advisor

For the user agent, that is both a yes and a no

Basically, User Agent information is stored in the raw data, but isn't available in workspace. It's also available in Processing Rules, and in any raw data feeds that you send out... but if you want to see it in Workspace (I do this as a backup so I can monitor that there are no new apps and variations popping up) then you can also set up an eVar to store the user agent (eVar because it can hold more characters, 255 vs the 100 that a prop can hold).

Basically, I just use processing rules for determining the website within the app.

Processing Rule:

If "User Agent" contains "[myvalue]" then

Set "eVarX" to "native-app"

Or something like this ^

As mentioned above, so I can monitor the User Agents easier, I also use a rule:

Set "eVarY" to "User Agent"   (I add this to one of my global rules that fires all the time)

I also make sure to set a prop or eVar (let's say eVarZ for this example) with my "breakpoint experience" - for my website, this will track "desktop", "tablet" or "mobile" based on our responsive breakpoints... in my app I track "app|mobile" and "app|tablet".

Then to see our website through our app, I used the combination of my "website" segment (eVarZ = desktop or tablet or mobile  AND  eVarX = native-app)

Level 5

Hey @Jennifer_Dungan! You´re a lifesaver! thank you for the insights..

Sorry for making such beginner questions but AA is quite complex sometimes.. 
If I ask our developers to implement the user agent string, would I be able to create a fallout or flow showing the journey of the user that accessed the website within the app?

The website is an e-commerce one and we will need to know the conversion, so how many orders/users reaching x page, were completed with the site open within the app. 

Is that possible?

Community Advisor

There's no need to apologize! This is the reason this community exists, to help people get started... most of us didn't have such a resource back when we were in your position.

That should be possible. The specific details of how you build your implementation, and how you build your segments with need to be accounted for.

Do you have a dev or qa suite that you are using? You can validate this while it's in test... Go through a few scenarios, test to make sure the info is captured as expected, and make some flow and fallout charts.. make sure that you can create the visualizations you want to use and that they look like they are capturing your needs.