Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Mobile App Analytics - Is there an alternative to visitorAppendToURL function for Native to Webview Tracking?

Level 3

Dear Community,

We have implemented Adobe SDK on the Mobile App, our App is hybrid. And it uses Salesforce CIAM for Login (which is a webview),

When user navigates from Native App Screen to the CIAM Login Webview Page, we are passing "adobe_mc" as a parameter using visitorAppendToURL function.

But CIAM has character limitation on login page, meaning it blocks any additional parameters. So in that case User Journey breaks for Webview and new ECID gets generated from Ex Cloud Extension on WebView instead of keeping the same ECID from Native Screen Visit.

I was wondering if you have came across such scenario to pass ECID to a webview page from native mobile app screen, without using visitorAppendToURL function.

Please do reply, if you have any idea.

Thanks a lot.

@yuhuisg , @Jennifer_Dungan , @Pablo_Childe , @Andrew_Wathen_ 

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

@UserAP I do not think without the visitorAppendToURL function, you would be able to stitch visitors between Web and app because it is designed this way to stitch the visitors for hybrid apps

Community Advisor

Question...

(Native App Screen) to the (CIAM Login Webview) Page,

Is it safe to say... (iOS Adobe SDK) to the (Adobe web responsive SDK) are tagged and going to their report suites?

Level 3

Hi Pablo,

They are both tagged, data goes to the same RS.

Community Advisor

All right so what if you tried this...

I assume you are  tagging Pagename for screens in mobile? We will need to add a new evar here as well.

Mobile

ECID Copy to a new evar. Dont clear variable.

WEB

Have new evar defined and ready to populate.

Do you see the new evar pass from Mobile visit to new WEB page visit? (im hoping out of box it does or maybe have to parse from adobe beacon/cookie)

Level 3

Hi Pablo,

So, if I'm getting you correct, you are suggesting to overwrite ECID1 value which is coming from native screen to webview (ECID extension) generated ECID2, using some custom logic?

I was thinking about overwriting it, but never have done it before, and I also have to make sure about the timing, as ECID extension is the first one to load on Web. My custom logic should fire before ECID extension loads, so that it avoids creating new ECID. 

Not sure about the complications though.

Community Advisor

Hi eventually yes.

Step 1 can you carry over the ECID in a copy evar.(test data flow logic)

Step 2 then use a processing rule to overwrite the ECID with an Evar if present.

Level 3

Hi @Pablo_Childe ,

thanks for this suggestion, will try this out. At least it should solve the problem for Analytics.