Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Metrics by Unique Visitors

Level 1

Hi! I'm trying to calculate some metrics such as conversion, orders, average order value and revenue, but all by unique visitors. Can some please explain how can I do that? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

So for non-calculated metrics (like orders), you can create the segment as I mentioned above...

But for calculated metrics, like Conversion Rate, so I am going to assume the metric is "Orders / UV"....

You can pull in a column for Orders, and another column for Unique Visitors.. select the two columns and right click to bring up the context menu... select "Create Metric from Selection" > "Divide"

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1677007696335.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1677007703063.png

You may want to edit the resulting calculated metric (give it a better name than what is auto generated, make it display as decimal or % and the number of decimal points, etc, and make sure the division is in the correct order...

If you need a more complex conversion.. like "Orders per UV (that actually makes an order)", then you can create a segment for "Visitors with Orders"  (and make sure that you look for orders made within an appropriate time frame by adding a date range into your segment - you don't want any visitors who have ever made an order in the entire history of your site)... then you can stack that segment with your metrics, and create a calculated metric that includes the segment.... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

I generally use a segment such as:

Hit level:

Order exists

Then I stack that segment with Unique Visitor, then no matter what breakdown I am using (Page, Month, etc), I know that the scope the "order" isn't greedily grabbing more than I expect, and the UV metric will de-duplicate multiple orders by User.

Level 1

Thanks for your response! Is that something that'd work only for orders? I tried creating a segment for conversion rate the same way but cannot pull in conversion rate in custom segment. 

Community Advisor

Ohh.. probably cause conversion rate is a calculated metric... you should be able to create your own conversion by UV....

Level 2

Hi 

Did you find out how to do this one ? I am also working on the same issue . Can you please explain me

Thank you

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

So for non-calculated metrics (like orders), you can create the segment as I mentioned above...

But for calculated metrics, like Conversion Rate, so I am going to assume the metric is "Orders / UV"....

You can pull in a column for Orders, and another column for Unique Visitors.. select the two columns and right click to bring up the context menu... select "Create Metric from Selection" > "Divide"

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1677007696335.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1677007703063.png

You may want to edit the resulting calculated metric (give it a better name than what is auto generated, make it display as decimal or % and the number of decimal points, etc, and make sure the division is in the correct order...

If you need a more complex conversion.. like "Orders per UV (that actually makes an order)", then you can create a segment for "Visitors with Orders"  (and make sure that you look for orders made within an appropriate time frame by adding a date range into your segment - you don't want any visitors who have ever made an order in the entire history of your site)... then you can stack that segment with your metrics, and create a calculated metric that includes the segment.... 

Level 2

I hope this helps .. will try and check.. Thankyou 

Level 2

I have a question related to conversion rate and orders.

In my current dashboard 

conversion rate : 

sunandach_0-1677008669987.png

So, according to you conversion rate with respective to unique visitors is orders divide by visitors

In the same scenario, I need to calculate orders with respective to unique visitors.

So whats the difference between conversion rate by unique visitors and order by unique visitors?

Community Advisor

Your current conversion rate is "Orders per Visit"...  doing "Orders per Visit per Unique Visitor" doesn't make a lot of sense... I am suggesting looking at "Orders per Unique Visitor" which gets you a conversion rate per visitor.... 

If you really need to do "per visit per visitor" then you can create a custom calculated metric that does the double divide...

Orders / Visits / Unique Visitors

But again, I question if this is really the conversion you need....

So whats the difference between conversion rate by unique visitors and order by unique visitors?

For one... there's no such thing as "Conversion Rate by Unique Visitors"... 

Orders per Visit is one type of conversion rate

Orders per Unique Visitor is another type of conversion rate

Orders / Visits / Unique Visitors is yet another type of conversion rate

Calling your "Orders per Visit" with a generic name of "Conversion Rate" can lead to confusion... as there are many different types of conversions, and different conversion rates for each of those conversions....

I deal with many different teams who are looking for different types of conversions.. so I always make sure my "conversion" calculations reflect exactly what type of conversion is being calculated....