Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Marketing Channels traffic data not appearing in reports

Level 2

Hi, I have one query in terms of implementing marketing channels processing rules.

Problem Statement - I have configured the marketing channels processing rules but I am not able to see the traffic data of the website in the reports. The website is under development we are still working on development environment script on launch.

we have utm_parameters in url in this case and we have configured the processing rule for email.

Marketing Channel Manager

Channel Id -3

Channel enabled - true

Channel Name - Email

Override last touch channel - enabled/true

Channel Breakdown - Channel Values

Channel Type - online

Marketing Channels Processing rule

1 Rule Identifying Email (processing order 1, for testing purpose only)

Add Rule as below

Query String parameter -> utm_medium (parameter) -> contains -> email (value)

Then do the following

Identify Channel as Email

Set the channel's value to Query String Parameter utm_medium

Sample url : https://qa-dt.mysite.com?utm_medium=email

Apart from this nothing else is configured as a part of processing the traffic data for the marketing channels

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That's interesting. I would expect your "Email" channel to get reported, even if you're building a freeform table with Marketing Channel dimension and Visits metric.

When you debug your AA hits, for the "g" parameter in the beacon, do you see your full URL with the "utm_medium" parameter too?

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That's interesting. I would expect your "Email" channel to get reported, even if you're building a freeform table with Marketing Channel dimension and Visits metric.

When you debug your AA hits, for the "g" parameter in the beacon, do you see your full URL with the "utm_medium" parameter too?

Level 2

Hi yuhuisg, Thanks for considering this request, I can't see query string parameter in g variable of AA hits when I am trying to hit the link mentioned in the original description.

Even for other pages when customer select a product category on website and product category comes in as a query string parameter, in that cases as well, g is coming without query string parameter.

Community Advisor

Can you see if your AA hits have a "-g" parameter? If so, do you see your "utm_medium" parameter in there?

It could be that your URL is very long, so it gets cut into 2, with the first part in the "g" parameter and the second part in the "-g" parameter. (Don't worry, AA knows how to join the 2 parameters' values back together to obtain the original URL.)

Level 2

No I can't.. basically I checked s.pageURL was populating with window.location.hostname, which is incorrect. I have updated it with window.location.href.

For -g parameter, I am using version v.23 of AppMeasurement (requested by client). For longer urls do we have any solutions or do I need to update the AppMeasurement.js version as well?

Community Advisor

That incorrect s.pageURL was probably the reason. Since it had been incorrectly tracking the hostname only, so the "utm_medium" parameter would not have been tracked to AA.

See if your problem gets resolved, now that you've set s.pageURL to really be the location URL.

Level 2

Data for email marketing channel is appearing in the report.

Only one thing, the url length.. do I need to update app measurement js version from v.23 to a higher version

Community Advisor

I normally prefer to always use the latest version of AppMeasurement.js, because it would include all of the latest bug fixes and maybe some enhancements. From my experience, I haven't had any tracking breakage when always updating to the latest versions.