Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Cumulative users

Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to create a chart that shows us the growth over a month for example

So if we had 50 by the end of the month, how has that grown over the course of the month i.e. did 49 of them come on the first day of the month and so on

Is this possible? I looked in the forums and found one way using calculated metrics but that didn't work as it just seemed to add up the user figures each day

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I am seeing the same issue..  it looks like the Cumulative function works only for non-duplicating metrics like Page Views, or Conversions...

I even tried playing a bit with some of the limited options available in the calculated metric builder, but it actually made it worse...

But, if you pair the Cumulative Calculated Metric with a Segment that excludes return visits, you can achieve the desired effect:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1678045945956.png

Essentially, this looks for Hits where a Visit exists, but then excludes all the Visitors that have had a visit after already having visited the site (note that the container is using exclude, visitor logic and is using the "only after sequence" feature; and uses a THEN logic within itself)

Here is the result, looking at UVs, next to the Cumulative UVs, then finally the Cumulative UVs stacked with the segment.

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1678046557082.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I am seeing the same issue..  it looks like the Cumulative function works only for non-duplicating metrics like Page Views, or Conversions...

I even tried playing a bit with some of the limited options available in the calculated metric builder, but it actually made it worse...

But, if you pair the Cumulative Calculated Metric with a Segment that excludes return visits, you can achieve the desired effect:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1678045945956.png

Essentially, this looks for Hits where a Visit exists, but then excludes all the Visitors that have had a visit after already having visited the site (note that the container is using exclude, visitor logic and is using the "only after sequence" feature; and uses a THEN logic within itself)

Here is the result, looking at UVs, next to the Cumulative UVs, then finally the Cumulative UVs stacked with the segment.

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1678046557082.png

Community Advisor

Normally, I'd use Cohort Analysis (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/visualizations/cohort-t...) for a report where I need to answer "what percentage of X visits (or visitors) in a previous period returned (or churned) in the next period?"

But if you want to see the visitor growth day-by-day, then Cohort Analysis won't work. On the other hand, if you want to see the growth on a less granular scale, e.g. week or month, then you could try Cohort Analysis.