Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Marketing Channels -> CIDs into speaking names

Level 5

Hi guys,

i try to get CIDs into speaking names for Marketing Channels. My idea is using Processing Rules or DTM to get CID and write a speaking name into a eVar. We have 30+ different CIDs counting up. Any other idea or comment on this?

Kind regards
Till 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

I got help via eMail. For documention purpose i will post the mails as Replys:

Hi Till, is speaking name the same thing as a friendly name? If so, you can utilize classifications to achieve what you're aiming for. Commonly people will pull in the raw CID into an eVar, then classify or group the values into friendly names.

Alternatively, Marketing Channels can do it for you if there's a pattern to them. Have the Marketing Channel processing rule look for a query string that starts with a certain value, and if it matches, plop it into the appropriate marketing channel.

If you'd like to provide any specific examples of CIDs you're putting into eVars and what you'd like reporting to end up as, I can give you even more specific/detailed information. Thanks!

Russ

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

I got help via eMail. For documention purpose i will post the mails as Replys:

Hi Till, is speaking name the same thing as a friendly name? If so, you can utilize classifications to achieve what you're aiming for. Commonly people will pull in the raw CID into an eVar, then classify or group the values into friendly names.

Alternatively, Marketing Channels can do it for you if there's a pattern to them. Have the Marketing Channel processing rule look for a query string that starts with a certain value, and if it matches, plop it into the appropriate marketing channel.

If you'd like to provide any specific examples of CIDs you're putting into eVars and what you'd like reporting to end up as, I can give you even more specific/detailed information. Thanks!

Russ

Level 5

Hi Russ,

yes exactly. My english isn’t the best, so i didn’t think of „friendly“ and just translated it from german to english :)

My Marketing colleagues shouldn’t see this:

[img]mc_display_channel.png[/img]

The way pulling CID to eVar and using Classification Importer/Rule Builder afterwards is perfect. I can classify e.x. _00043_ to SEA and _xyz_ to special Offer. The End would be „SEA special offer“ and we have friendly names.

Will talk to my colleagues if they will luse SAINT Bernard or Rule Builder. Thanks for helping me out and showing me a way using just one DTM or Proessing Rulke and not one per CID.

Till

Level 5

Awesome - seeing that screenshot I have an even better idea.

Marketing Channels have classifications specific to that report you can take advantage of. Here's more info on it:

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/mchannel/classifictions_mchannel.html

That way the data translates directly into the Channel Overview report so you don't have to mess with anything else (such as your implementation).

Russ

Level 5

Ok thats realy nice. But as i can see, it is a little more complex then normal classification. Will have a deeper look at it.

Till