Expand my Community achievements bar.

Marketing Channel Processing Rules with Cross Domain Traffic

Level 2

My organization is in the process of refining our Marketing Channel processing rules, and we are hoping to understand how we should approach cross domain traffic. On site A, we have several avenues for visitors to then move over to site B. These avenues are tagged with UTMs for us to see where they are entering from, and we have a segment that is used to identify this traffic. We would like to be able to see the marketing channel that the user arrived to site A through, after they have then taken one of the avenues to site B. It is my understanding that when looking at Suite B we will see this type of traffic as "internal", and that by not selecting "override last  touch channel" in our processing rules for "internal" we will be able to see the original marketing channel that they arrived to site A through. Can anyone help confirm or deny this? any other tips on how to work with marketing channel with cross domain sites is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Replies

Community Advisor

You can configure "internal" to override if you choose, there is a checkbox on each channel in the setup... however, I wouldn't do this... 

First, if you have all sites going into the same suite, you really shouldn't be using UTMs... UTMs are for external campaigns, if you are also using GA using UTMs will cause issues with GA Session tracking... it's preferred to use ITMs or custom parameters for your internal campaigns.

Next, I would set up a special Marketing Channel for your internal campaign (separate from Internal) that overrides if you choose... or don't record this as a Marketing Channel at all, and track your ITMs separately and pull the data directly for this usage. 

Adobe Champion

Something else to consider is the 'Internal URL Filters' that is set for each report suite. Keep in mind that MC processing rules is a waterfall process, and it would be best to put the 'Internal' channel towards the bottom. One of the rule parameters for MC processing rules is 'referrer matches URL filters'.

Hope this helps out.