Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

Anyone here have pre Launch/DTM experience? Need to remove hard coded components from a really old site.

Level 2

Hey folks, really tough question here. I have an application / site that has been running for for about 10 years now with no major improvements. It is still running some kind of data capture code that was pre DTM. I have no idea what it is or how it is implemented, but I do see that it writes to Adobe Analytics report suites, and we are getting all the data that this system was setup to do. 

Now we need to make some updates, and I have added Adobe Launch into the mix and I am trying to confirm if that is causing an issue. I can see items firing from Launch, and I see data being written to the report suite Launch is pointing to, but I think the data that is actually getting to the suite is the data from the hard coded settings. Need to wait a few more days of data capture in our test environment to confirm. I was told not to have DTM and Launch running, which we did not, and now that DTM has been shut down, hope that Launch and this old code will play nice with each other.

If they do not, and I guess even if they do, is there any documentation I can look through to see about getting this old coded process removed from this site? What lines of code I should be looking for in the site, and what files on the back end I may be able to remove to be left with just Launch running and controlling my data capture? This application / site is a political and economical entity that absolutely has to be working, hence no improvements over the 10 years. "It is running fine, don't mess with it" has been the mantra here. There are just now data questions the "new regime" are looking to get answered, and that hinges on Launch and its capabilities. We get so much useable data from our newer, updated applications / sites, they want that on the old application now, and it would be fine if I broke the old data capture for a few weeks, but if I break the application, it would be very bad. Like "crossing the streams" bad. If you are old enough to get that reference, you probably can point me in a general direction. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Yes, I come from the pre-launch / DTM era... 

I have worked on implementation in both the s_code.js stage (basically back when this was still Omniture), and the appMeasurement.js stage (the updated files that started rolling in Visitor ID service, and eventually became a part of DTM and Launch).

I hate to say it, but we have a few old sites still running on old tech too... 

So first off... you probably have some direct JS code references you want to look for:

s_code.js OR AppMeasurement.js

you may also have a something like OmniLinkTrack.js (which is file that supports your click functions)

Then in the site, somewhere, you will have code that looks like:

<!--
s.pageName = "home";
s.channel = "home";
s.prop1 = "something";
s.eVar1 = "something else";
/************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/
var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->

^ this here on your page is what is setting your dimension values, then the "var s_code=s.t()" is what is triggering the beacon.

Level 2

Jennifer, sorry for the delayed reply, life got in the way. Thank you so much for this, I will look for these and let the DEV team come up with a plan for extraction.