Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Linear Regression exemples

Level 8

Hello Adobe Analytics community ,

I've been tryng to configure a new metric using linear regression without any success( triyng to calculate the slope of the visits cumulative over time, but the linear regression slope function does'nt return something right - maybe I'm not putting the right thing on the X argument - I used visits, but I believe it should be time)

Could someone please share any exemples of linear regressions ?

Kind regards !

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Unfortunately, it's not really meant to work with time as the independent variable.  It's for comparing two metrics, and time isn't a metric.  That said, I think you can get what you want by using the cumulative function.  It will only work if the dimension of your report is time, because it's not really time based, but rather "row number" based. 

The idea is that we set a 1 on every row in the results, and then use cumulative to turn that into 1, 2, 3, ...  Then that is used as the independent variable, and use visits (or any other metric, including cumulative visits) as the dependent variable.  I have included a screen shot of the formula that I used as well as the exact same calculations in Excel.  That way, you can see if it's going to work for your use case. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.28.15 PM.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 8

Hello Adobe Community,

I haven't got any input on this subject !

If someone could give any exemple it would be helpful !

Thanks again,

Cheers !

Correct answer by
Employee

Unfortunately, it's not really meant to work with time as the independent variable.  It's for comparing two metrics, and time isn't a metric.  That said, I think you can get what you want by using the cumulative function.  It will only work if the dimension of your report is time, because it's not really time based, but rather "row number" based. 

The idea is that we set a 1 on every row in the results, and then use cumulative to turn that into 1, 2, 3, ...  Then that is used as the independent variable, and use visits (or any other metric, including cumulative visits) as the dependent variable.  I have included a screen shot of the formula that I used as well as the exact same calculations in Excel.  That way, you can see if it's going to work for your use case. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.28.15 PM.png

Employee

Not sure if you have Data Workbench in your organization or not but this is a standard fea in it. DWB is for more advanced analysis such as using regression in the way you are asking about.

If you want some some more information on this feel free to reach out and I can answer any questions you have.