Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Issues with reports showing data that does not match filter and segments

Level 1

Hi, 

So I'm facing frustration with the Analysis workspace. We've built reports to report on campaign performance on-site. Specifically looking at traffic for a campaign. On one of our panels, we have a dropdown of the dimensions of captured campaigns; however, when selecting a specific campaign, we still see other campaigns populated in the table below instead of just the single value for the selected campaign. Then I decided to build a segment that looks at visits where the campaign equals that specific campaign, yet the result is the same. Then I changed the segment to hit level, and still, the same result occurred. This is especially so, when we're looking at pages visited from the campaign, and some pages show up that don't belong based on the segment (i.e., A table of full URL shows URLs of pages with other campaign parameters appended to it). Why does this happen? I'm so used to GA and Looker Studio, where filters narrow down to the specific item I'm trying to look at; why can't Adobe Analytics do the same? Is there something I'm missing to achieve what I want to see?

OzzieSa_0-1690562687153.pngOzzieSa_1-1690562708381.png

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Bounce Rate is the culprit.... if you remove that metric, the drop down will work....

The issue is that even with the UTM Campaign filtered, the Entries metric (which is used in the calculation for Bounce Rate) looks at "Entries that have ANY UTM Campaign... allowing those other values to appear (even though the Bounce Rate for the row ends up being 0)

You can create a sort of custom Bounce Rate for this table, by creating a calculated metric for:

Single Page Views / UTM Campaign Instances

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1690573109119.png

(I would call this something like "Campaign Bounce Rate" to ensure that it's clearly a custom calculation)

The values won't match the current Bounce Rate, which is based on Single Hit / Entries.

You won't be looking at Hits, but Pages, and you won't be looking specifically at Entries, but the instance of your Campaign...

But if you frame it this way to the audience, your filters will at least function the way you expect them too.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Bounce Rate is the culprit.... if you remove that metric, the drop down will work....

The issue is that even with the UTM Campaign filtered, the Entries metric (which is used in the calculation for Bounce Rate) looks at "Entries that have ANY UTM Campaign... allowing those other values to appear (even though the Bounce Rate for the row ends up being 0)

You can create a sort of custom Bounce Rate for this table, by creating a calculated metric for:

Single Page Views / UTM Campaign Instances

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1690573109119.png

(I would call this something like "Campaign Bounce Rate" to ensure that it's clearly a custom calculation)

The values won't match the current Bounce Rate, which is based on Single Hit / Entries.

You won't be looking at Hits, but Pages, and you won't be looking specifically at Entries, but the instance of your Campaign...

But if you frame it this way to the audience, your filters will at least function the way you expect them too.

Community Advisor

Those entries and visit-related metrics can be so tricky!  I've banged my head against the wall a few times before I realized what was the cause.

Community Advisor

Yeah, it's also the same when I do breakdowns like Weeks or Months... if I have bounce rate added as a column, I always get one extra row outside my panel date range with 0 values.... very annoying

Level 1

This totally makes sense; thank you, Jennifer! However, it only works when filtering on the dimension value as a dropdown (when removing bounce rate metric). If I use a segment as a filter to identify my campaign, I still get other campaigns as well as "unspecified." Below is a screenshot of just a simple table (with no bounce rate).

OzzieSa_0-1690582602222.png

Community Advisor

I assume your UTM is already set to Visit level expiry? Therefore your segment should be HIT level.

You are getting additional values from people hitting multiple campaigns in the same visit.

Let's look at an example:

Page 1 > External Site > Page 2 > Page 3 > External Site > Page 4 > Page 5 (all in the same Visit/Session)

• Page 1
    • No Campaign
    • eVarX will be unspecified
  • Page 2
    • URL contains utm_campaign=A
    • UTM Campaign value "A" in eVarX
    • Instance of eVarX metric
  • Page 3
    • No Campaign in URL
    • UTM Campaign value "A" in eVarX (due to eVar expiry being Visit level)
    • NO Instance of eVarX metric set, as there is no campaign in the URL
  • Page 4
    • URL contains utm_campaign=B
    • UTM Campaign value "B" in eVarX
    • Instance of eVarX metric
  • Page 5
    • No Campaign in URL
    • UTM Campaign value "B" in eVarX (due to eVar expiry being Visit level)
    • NO Instance of eVarX metric set, as there is no campaign in the URL

If you create a segment that looks for eVarX equals "A" in the visit level, ALL 5 of these pages will be returned, when you show the Campaign dimension under that segment, you will see A and B and unspecified (because all 5 of these pages are in the same visit where "A" was recorded)

Now, if you set your segment to eVarX equals "A" at the hit level, only pages 2 and 3 will be returned, and your dimension breakdown will show only A

Community Advisor

@OzzieSa it helps to remember that in Adobe Analytics, a newly tracked campaign does not result in a new visit. That is unlike Google Analytics' Universal Analytics measurement, and certainly different from Google Analytics 4's measurement.

Read up on Adobe Analytics definition of a visit: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/visits.html?lang=en#how-this-me...