Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Is this bot traffic and if yes what actions can be done?

Level 4

I'm looking closely at our website traffic patterns and noticed something strange. Yesterday, June 14, 2022, I broke down Pageviews/Visits/Unique Visitors and Bounces by Hour of Day. At 3:00 AM there was a big spike in traffic. Broken down further by Browser, IP Address and Region, I found that the traffic spike was from a single Browser - Google Chrome 91.0, a single IP address (in screenshot below), and Region - Oregon. The Bounces coming from this device is extremely high,  bounce rate in the high 90s.

I checked traffic for a different day I picked randomly - June 1, 2022. Once again there's a spike in traffic at 3 AM from the same Browser and IP Address.

We aren't in retail and don't operate an online store. We operate in the Eastern Time Zone within regular business hours, 9 am - 5 pm. There is no reason for anyone to use the site at 3 AM as opposed to regular business hours or perhaps earlier and later like in the evening but using the site at 3 AM is unexpected and strange to say the least. Whatever visitors need to use, access, download from our site are available any time.

I suspect this is bot traffic. Please kindly take a look and let me know your opinion. If it appears to be bot traffic, what can be done about it? I realize I can create a segment to exclude this traffic from reports but is that the only thing that can be done?

2022-06-15_10-11-27.png2022-06-15_10-14-15.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

The traffic was from a company that we've engaged for regulatory archiving purposes, unbeknownst to me. I added the IP Address to the Exclude By IP Address (Analytics > Admin > All admin > Exclude by IP) to prevent it from skewing our analytics data.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Check with your marketing teams have they recently purchased any SEM/keyword or digital banner traffic?

BOT like traffic could be when such traffic is bought from 3rd party suppliers...

Community Advisor

There is also another possible source of bot traffic that your IT team is doing regular pentest to your website.

Correct answer by
Level 4

The traffic was from a company that we've engaged for regulatory archiving purposes, unbeknownst to me. I added the IP Address to the Exclude By IP Address (Analytics > Admin > All admin > Exclude by IP) to prevent it from skewing our analytics data.