Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Is there a dimension that lists the webpage a user was on prior to landing on the website?

Level 2

I am trying to see how users are landing on a page/set of pages described by a segment I have created.

For example: www.mywesbite.com/bookings/suburb1

I initially used the "referrer" dimension, but recently found out this doesn't mean for instance that if the referrer is google.com, that the user landed straight from google to my URL.

Instead, the path could have been google.com > www.mywebsite.com/homepage > www.mywebsite.com/bookings > www.mywebsite.com/bookings/suburb1

I want a breakdown of how people are landing on this bookings page based on the page they were on immediately before. Does anyone know how I may go about doing this?

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To get the External Referring Domain (Instance), you need to use the correct metric.

Page Views - this metric will get you all pages in the visit that were hit as a result of the referral (just like you said)

Google > Page 1 of Site > Page 2 of Site > Page 3 of Site > etc

Referral Instance - this metric will get you only the "instance" of the referral

Google > Page 1 of Site

You can even create a calculated metric PVs/Referral Instance that you can use to get the average number of pages that people are viewing when coming from a certain referrer.

Referrers are only External Referrers.

If you want the Internal Pages that linked to your site, you could use a Flow Diagram, or you can use the new "Next or Previous Item" Panel which creates a fancy report all around the Previous Internal Pages

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1660223768436.png

Drop your Bookings Page, into the circled area, Adobe should choose "Page" dimension by default in the left hand column, but you can always change that to another dimension if you choose (like maybe you want to use a custom eVar which holds the URL? Or maybe you want to look at high level page types or categories, etc... you can create multiple panels, or add additional breakdowns on the report that is created.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Referrer in Adobe Analytics only reports on external referrer. For internal referring, such as from homepage to bookings and bookings to bookings/suburb1, you can use Flow visualization with Page dimension to understanding how people navigate within your site.

Employee Advisor

@asdf12341z  Adding to @leocwlau You can implement getPreviousValue plugin and capture the website urls in a prop or eVar and report it in adobe analytics 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpreviousvalue.html?...

Here is the documentation on the same 

Community Advisor

The Flow visualisation can also help you to visualise the proportion of previous (and next) pages. It's not a neat table, but it could still be useful.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To get the External Referring Domain (Instance), you need to use the correct metric.

Page Views - this metric will get you all pages in the visit that were hit as a result of the referral (just like you said)

Google > Page 1 of Site > Page 2 of Site > Page 3 of Site > etc

Referral Instance - this metric will get you only the "instance" of the referral

Google > Page 1 of Site

You can even create a calculated metric PVs/Referral Instance that you can use to get the average number of pages that people are viewing when coming from a certain referrer.

Referrers are only External Referrers.

If you want the Internal Pages that linked to your site, you could use a Flow Diagram, or you can use the new "Next or Previous Item" Panel which creates a fancy report all around the Previous Internal Pages

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1660223768436.png

Drop your Bookings Page, into the circled area, Adobe should choose "Page" dimension by default in the left hand column, but you can always change that to another dimension if you choose (like maybe you want to use a custom eVar which holds the URL? Or maybe you want to look at high level page types or categories, etc... you can create multiple panels, or add additional breakdowns on the report that is created.