Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

iOS Mobile Device analytics drop but android and windows not affected. (Integrated Mobile Web View

Level 3

Experiencing an issue where we have a Mobile App that has an integrated Web View (like an iframe within the app) and intermittently, analytics have dropped off on our confirmation page during our user journey. But it's only for iOS where we are seeing the discrepancy. Android and Desktop view numbers match up just fine. This began and was noticed sometime the beginning to Mid October during the 17.0.3 iOS privacy update. Which led me to suspect that update had something to do with it. Data has not risen to normal as it should and it's intermittent for iOS, however I cannot reproduce it from our end since it doesn't happen all of the time. I am hoping someone may have some insight and/or experienced something similar to this and can shed some light or any knowledge. Greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

I believe I found the root cause, it's definitely some setting between iOS mobile device with the tracking setting. The do not allow tracking would be for our third party implementations (pixels, and non-adobe analytics, etc.). There is a setting where adobe analytics is not firing at all. I am working with our IT team to see if there is a setting that is not properly configured to allow adobe analytics to fire. all pages through out the purchase flow fire analytics just fine, it's the confirmation page that prevents it from firing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

We have some, but not enough webview pages in our mobile apps, so I haven't noticed this myself...

However, have you tried to do a breakdown by iOS versions? Maybe you can find some pattern to what versions of iOS might be missing? Perhaps it's even a patch applied to multiple iOS major versions, as opposed to just iOS17+ (like maybe 16.7.7+ and 15.8.2+, etc - obviously these are just sample numbers) which might explain some of the discrepancies you are seeing... 

How are you determining the analytics for WebView? Is it possible that tracking is still happening, but maybe it's being attributed to your website and not to the app webview?

Level 4

Not sure if this is 100% applicable, but on our site (not a mobile app) when we have an iFramed location on a page, I will ensure that Launch is both in the paraent location and in the child iFrame "page" to ensure that we can see engagement to both locations.  This will ensure at least from a journey perspective you can see when they are engaving with iframe components and the parent page components.  

In this case, the visit metric would be better to use as pageviews will be inflated because of the iFrame.  

I would then do a comparison analysis of your OS's that @Jennifer_Dungan suggested.  

Community Advisor

Personally, I always try to reduce the inflated PVs in the parent <> child framing situation, but sometimes you can't (I get it). And this could be a solution if you are willing to take this risk (it would essentially work the same as an iFrame solution @Damonwhall, you are right about that)

In our apps, we don't track the app page, and defer solely to the website tracking... but we made a modification to our webview user agent, so that we can identify those views without having to rely on passing query string parameters in the webview... 

Correct answer by
Level 3

I believe I found the root cause, it's definitely some setting between iOS mobile device with the tracking setting. The do not allow tracking would be for our third party implementations (pixels, and non-adobe analytics, etc.). There is a setting where adobe analytics is not firing at all. I am working with our IT team to see if there is a setting that is not properly configured to allow adobe analytics to fire. all pages through out the purchase flow fire analytics just fine, it's the confirmation page that prevents it from firing.

Community Advisor

Well that sounds like a "fun" investigation... Good Luck!