Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Segment app users based on their usage frequency

Level 2

I'm struggling a bit to find the right approach of a segmentation:

We are tracking an app and I would like to build clusters based on the users weekly usage of the app, e.g.

Occasional visitors: <=1 visits/app launches per week
Frequent visitors: >1 and <=5 visits/app launches per week
Heavy users: >5 visits/app launches per week

I would later like to visualize their share over time in a 100% stacked bar chart.

How would you recommend to define these segments? Please note, that I do not have "Return Frequency" available. I guess this is due to tracking and app and not a website, but not sure. It's just not available in the workspace (no restrictions set). Instead I have

- Metric: App Users (Unique Visitors)
- Metric: App Launches (Higher than visits. Multiple launches within 30 minutes timeout count as one visit)
- Metric: Visits 
- Dimension: Days since first use 
- Dimension: Days since last use

The two dimensions could be bucketed using classification.

How would you recommend to define the 3 segments?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

First, you should have Return Frequency, regardless of Web or App traffic. Return Frequency is essentially a calculated bucket based on the "Days Since Last Visit" metric.

Are you an Admin? You should check that the permissions that you and your users have been granted in the Admin Console are unrestricted for Dimension and Metrics. Even if you are an Admin, you will still only see what is configured in the permissions.

I prefer to use "Auto-included", I see no point in restricting access for any of our metrics / dimensions... however, if your company does need to restrict certain items (like Revenue, or sensitive info from some users), then you can make sure to have multiple permission profiles set up, and that every person is granted the correct settings.

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1713791369977.png

If you are using curated metrics and dimensions, make sure that you have "Days Since Last Visit" and "Return Frequency" in the right column of the permissions.

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1713791874620.png

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1713791915149.png

Next, once your permissions are sorted out, we can look at your definitions. The one issue here is that users don't always come back in a consistent pattern, you will have users who come in twice in the same day (Days Since Last Visit = 0), then they might come back 5 days later, then 1 days later, then 1 day later...  

Return Frequency will show the same user in multiple buckets.  The same thing will happen with your definitions as well.

However, you might want to check out the tip I did at Summit 2023, and again for the APAC Skill Exchange, showing how to to create non-overlapping New/Repeat Visitors within a time frame. I think you could create adjusted logic to get close to what you need:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/events/the-skill-exchange-recordings/analytics/may2023/ro...

Good Luck

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

First, you should have Return Frequency, regardless of Web or App traffic. Return Frequency is essentially a calculated bucket based on the "Days Since Last Visit" metric.

Are you an Admin? You should check that the permissions that you and your users have been granted in the Admin Console are unrestricted for Dimension and Metrics. Even if you are an Admin, you will still only see what is configured in the permissions.

I prefer to use "Auto-included", I see no point in restricting access for any of our metrics / dimensions... however, if your company does need to restrict certain items (like Revenue, or sensitive info from some users), then you can make sure to have multiple permission profiles set up, and that every person is granted the correct settings.

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1713791369977.png

If you are using curated metrics and dimensions, make sure that you have "Days Since Last Visit" and "Return Frequency" in the right column of the permissions.

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1713791874620.png

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1713791915149.png

Next, once your permissions are sorted out, we can look at your definitions. The one issue here is that users don't always come back in a consistent pattern, you will have users who come in twice in the same day (Days Since Last Visit = 0), then they might come back 5 days later, then 1 days later, then 1 day later...  

Return Frequency will show the same user in multiple buckets.  The same thing will happen with your definitions as well.

However, you might want to check out the tip I did at Summit 2023, and again for the APAC Skill Exchange, showing how to to create non-overlapping New/Repeat Visitors within a time frame. I think you could create adjusted logic to get close to what you need:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/events/the-skill-exchange-recordings/analytics/may2023/ro...

Good Luck

Level 2

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

You are a life saver! It was a restrictions thing related to the affected product profiles. In fact there are some components in the permissions under "Report Suite Tools" which include things like "Return Visitors" and "Daily Return Visits". These were not yet added.

Also thank you very much for your tutorial. Really helpful!

Community Advisor

You are very welcome! Things like this can be so easy to forget about, or not know about at all if someone else set up the permissions. 

Glad you are sorted out now