Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Infinite Scroll

Level 1

Dear community,

In our company we've designed a website were we are going to use infinite scroll on section pages but also on article pages. When the article page is loaded it will load the first 3 articles. The visitor can now scroll through these articles and read them. When the visitor gets at the second half of the 3rd article the next 3 articles are automatically loaded in the background. This way the visitor can read articles without having to click.

The problem now is what the best way would be to measure this in Adobe Analytics (Omniture SC15). Our business want to know which article is loaded and hopefully read. The website is still in development but there is a website called www.qz.com who works the same as what we want to do.

I hope you can help.

Kind regards

Timm

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Timm,

I will advise you to make a custom link implementation, each time 3 new articles are loaded send a custom link tracking call (s.tl) : http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/sc/implement/function_tl.html

Also send the following variables: 

-an event to track the custom page view or maybe Content views would be a better name.

-a variable that captures the names of the articles

-variables with any other details that you think would be significant to you

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Timm,

I will advise you to make a custom link implementation, each time 3 new articles are loaded send a custom link tracking call (s.tl) : http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/sc/implement/function_tl.html

Also send the following variables: 

-an event to track the custom page view or maybe Content views would be a better name.

-a variable that captures the names of the articles

-variables with any other details that you think would be significant to you

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

Employee

Timm,

Are you still working on this?  We can help solve for this within DTM as well using our direct call rules.

-Rudi

Level 1

We just implemented infinite scroll on one of our websites as well:  www.prevention.com  -- we use DTM as well and would like some help adding a direct call rule to make sure we get all pageviews.    We are currently changing the URL on the article page as you can see by going here and scroll to the next article.  But is that enough?

http://www.prevention.com/beauty/skin-care/makeup-concealer-tips-better-complexion

Thanks!!

-Steve

Level 4

Rudi,

I'd love to see you guys provide some thought leadership around this topic as more and more publishers move to the infinite scroll structure. It seems like there should be a good standardized approach to how we track this functionality using Adobe Analytics. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around what exactly I'll want to be able to provide insight into when we begin implementing this functionality later this year, and then how we should be implementing to be able to facilitate this.

A few off the top of my head questions I'll want to answer:

* what position a piece of content was in when viewed. E.g. if articleX got 150 pageviews (assuming we'll increment pageviews for each item entering viewport within infinite scroll), how many pageviews occurred with that article in position 1 vs. position 3 ?

* how does position within infinite scroll affect time on page (e.g. what is average time on page for content in position 1 vs. position 3?)

* how does position affect level of interaction with content -- if longer content is truncated and a "read more" link is included, how does position within infinite scroll impact user engagement with those links?

I'll also want to ensure I'm able to cleanly delineate referrals to a piece of content (internal and external referrals) to only include items in first position, as obviously the first item viewed would be the item the user intended to reach.

This is obviously just the tip of the iceberg. I would love to hear from others who are wrestling with similar problems, and most ideally would love to get some centralized guidance from Adobe on how publishers should approach measurement of infinite scroll.

Level 1

Tanks for sharing your experience  :)