Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Increase in session refreshes causing more than one marketing channel in a visit

Level 2

We are seeing quite a few visits with more than one marketing channel in the same visit. The first channel is usually session refresh followed by a different marketing channel e.g natural search. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and how you have you fixed it.. One school of thought is it may be related to changes made to stop analytics cookies dropping before consent is given but not sure how we test/prove that,. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Assuming you're using the default definition of "Session Refresh" where it is set when the first hit of a visit is from one of your own domains:

• Does your website have any redirects?
  • Is it "normal" for your website users to remain on your website for an extraordinarily long time? For example, your website is a video platform where users watch videos that can last for more than half an hour.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Clarifying question: how did you find out that the first channel was "Session Refresh"?

Level 2

Initially spotted issue doing a cross tab analysis on first touch/last touch marketing channels.

A lot of orders with a last touch marketing channel of natural search or paid search had a first touch channel of session refresh. So I created a visit segment where a marketing channel hit of session refresh  was then followed in that visit by a marketing channel hit of natural search to size the issue. I also noticed this with  and session refresh and other marketing channels in the same visit..  

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Assuming you're using the default definition of "Session Refresh" where it is set when the first hit of a visit is from one of your own domains:

• Does your website have any redirects?
  • Is it "normal" for your website users to remain on your website for an extraordinarily long time? For example, your website is a video platform where users watch videos that can last for more than half an hour.