Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

In Workspace, can I change default settings for freeform tables?

Level 2

I waste a lot of time changing settings in my freeform tables in Workspace. Ideally, I want to change the default settings.

For example, I almost always want row settings to "show grand total" but this is not default and I have to change it for each drill-down, which can be 20 times per table. Other options would be great such as unchecking background. This will save a ton of time for me and my team. Please help! Thank you.

TampaTodd_0-1663162965368.png          TampaTodd_1-1663163317650.png

11 Replies

Community Advisor

There are a few default settings, but I don't believe that is one of them....

To get to the Project Preferences, use the Main "Components Menu" and choose Preferences.

Inside this, choose "Project" tab.

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1663166536003.png

But mostly this just allows you to set the Display and Color Palette; and some basic settings:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1663166601781.png

Perhaps you should post these additional setting options as an idea, so that the developers will consider those changes in an upcoming release

Level 2

Thank you for the reply, but this doesn't have what I need. I thought someone at Summit said this was an option. I remember my teammate and I getting excited about it.

Community Advisor

Yeah, these are the settings they showed at Summit... We can do basic stuff like colors and turning on/off annotations, anomalies, etc.. but it's still pretty limited... being able to have deeper control would be awesome.

I wish I had a better answer for you... I would love that feature too.

Community Advisor

I'm in the same boat.  I'd love to just set things so I could default to REMOVE the checkmarks from Show Grand Total and Percent from my table to begin with.

jeff_bloomer_0-1663176544775.png

It makes the data table a LOT cleaner.  In fact, I can't tell you the last time I actually kept Show Grand Total in my report.  It's either redundant or irrelevant to me.

Jeff Bloomer

Community Advisor

Same...I also never use "show grand totals", same with %... I rarely use it...but turning it on when I need it would be far less hassle  

Level 2

Interesting. I almost always want show grand totals and percent checked and background removed. I usually drill down by many segments to see what share of total each has and my charts are almost always % of total. Those three are my standard, but at least these options exist so we can pick and choose.

Community Advisor

A hacky way would be to create a freeform table with your desired settings. Then duplicate it for your other needs.

Community Advisor

So true!  I actually have a Workspace called New Report that I've used in the past to start out a report with the settings I wanted.  This was before Adobe provided the preferences tab allowing you to adjust the color palette and view density.  You could always have a workspace like that open in order to copy the freeform table component and paste it into your current workspace.  You could even try saving that blank workspace as a template and start from that each time as well.

Jeff Bloomer

Adobe Champion

I had not thought about that!  It is a great idea!  I will have to see if I can do that with the A4T panel as well!

Level 2

Hopefully someone from the Analytics software team is reading all this and taking notes. I don't think it's that hard to add this new feature. We shall see. Thanks for all your feedback, but looks like we'll all just have to wait.       

Community Advisor

Post this as an "Idea" instead of a question, since that's where the Analytics team "crowd sources" new features.