Expand my Community achievements bar.

Huge Discrepancy in Adobe Data vs Ad Platform Data

Level 2

Hello All,

Our organization is running ad campaigns through Triblio. The URLs they are using we implemented CID along with them to track whether the visitors are coming through Triblio ads or not. There is a huge discrepancy in data; For a certain time period Adobe data is showing 9.5K unique visitors where Triblio data is saying 4K. Considering one particular URL - Adobe Data says it received 500+ traffic through CID for a particular time period, whereas Triblio data is saying less than 100. 

What are the possible reasons for this? Any inputs can help me.

Would like to confirm that the CID attributed link is in use for Triblio Ads only.

6 Replies

Level 5

Hi @utsavm1234 ,

Can you please check if visitor counting method is different in Triblio as compared to Adobe? Can you drill down and see traffic from different devices, OS or browsers in Tribilo? Maybe there are some tracking gaps? Alternatively, please also check if any data is being lost due to cookie acceptance?

Level 2

There are some different in tracking methodology in Triblio than Adobe, that I know - but the difference is still huge considering that condition. I have already in conversation with Triblio team regarding cookie acceptance, thanks for the suggestion. Will check about browser and os issue.

Regards

Utsav

Level 10

That is indeed a very odd behavior. Typically, you would assume that an issue would cause your discrepant data to always to into the same wrong direction but not in both.

When you say that the numbers in Adobe are higher, are you certain that the same CID is not used by other channels as well? Do the referrer information show triblio as the only source of traffic?

I have seen cases where reported ad clicks on LinkedIn are 10x higher than what you see ending up on the website, too high to be explained with consent banners and/or ad blockers.

Of course the provider tells you that they indeed saw so many clicks (why would they not, if your pay them per click). We never really got to the bottom of that issue tbh.

Community Advisor

I agree with both @igupta that you should confirm how the different tools are determining UVs; and with @bjoern__koth about checking other channels....

I would also check that the URLs with the cid are not being picked up by google, or being shared by users...

For instance, some sites have built in share buttons...

If a user followed one of your links, and got to a page (https://www.domain.com/?cid=something) then that user decided to share that link with your built in buttons, make sure your share buttons are not including the cid. (better yet, append a specific "share cid" to the links shared via on-site tools)

However, search engine bots are a more likely culprit given those discrepancies... 

Level 2

Replying to @igupta , @bjoern__koth and @Jennifer_Dungan .

1. The triblio is using a 2 step validation for counting clicks : 1. Click on Adlinks and 2. Fire of Triblio Analytics Code on the page. There expiation is that Adobe Code fires before triblio code and before their code fires visitors are leaving the pages. 
My Doubt: This scenario can happen but not that much as record says.

2. CIDs used for tribilio are not used anywhere else.

3. CID attributed URLs are not being picked up by Google.

@Jennifer_Dungan , the scenario you mentioned at the end - the visits will be considered as generic unique visitors and not CID attributed unique visitors, isn't it?

Another scenario I would like to mention - specially to @Jennifer_Dungan ; if someone Bookmarked the CID attributed URL and open it after certain time period - the count of CID attributed Unique Visitor will be 2 - isn't it?

Regards

Utsav

Community Advisor

By the scenario I mentioned, I assume you mean the shares....

If a user comes to the site, and clicks to share the link, if they share the link manually or with their device's built-in share function, then it will always include the cid as part of the share... the only one you can control is the feature on your own site...

If you site shares the full URL (https://www.domain.com/?cid=something) then anyone who clicks on that share to come to your site will be picked up by Adobe as that campaign (and this would not go through Tribolio)