Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

how to find traffic source , campaign and medium in adobe analytics raw data

Level 1

My company is migrating from ga to adobe .

we have already a data feed setup and the data is on our database 

i have some reports that i need to replicate but am having issue re-creating the query from adobe data feed . i went through the documentation and throught the columns offered by the data feed but no luck so far 

the query is as simple as it can , 

calculating how many session per source, campaign , medium .any help with that will be super appreciated 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee
  • When implementing the tracking code correctly, the information should be captured in the 'campaign' column. 
  • Regarding the medium, you're likely referring to either the Last Touch Marketing channel or the referrer. To analyze the Last Touch channel, you can utilize the 'va_closer_id' and 'va_closer_details' columns. For examining the referrer, there are three options: 'referrer', 'ref_domain', and 'ref_type', each serving a distinct purpose.
  • It seems you're using the term 'visits' interchangeably with 'sessions'. The unique count of visits can be calculated using the following formula: count the distinct values obtained by concatenating 'post_visid_high', 'post_visid_low', 'visit_num', and 'visit_start_time_gmt'.

Details about each column is discussed here.

Having said all this, pinpointing your precise requirements is challenging due to the absence of a comparative report to reference. May I recommend that you consider raising an Analytics Ticket with the Adobe Analytics Support Team? Your Support or System Administrator should be adept at assisting you with this process. The support engineers can examine the data first-hand keepimg your expectations in mind, enabling them to provide tailored assistance.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee
  • When implementing the tracking code correctly, the information should be captured in the 'campaign' column. 
  • Regarding the medium, you're likely referring to either the Last Touch Marketing channel or the referrer. To analyze the Last Touch channel, you can utilize the 'va_closer_id' and 'va_closer_details' columns. For examining the referrer, there are three options: 'referrer', 'ref_domain', and 'ref_type', each serving a distinct purpose.
  • It seems you're using the term 'visits' interchangeably with 'sessions'. The unique count of visits can be calculated using the following formula: count the distinct values obtained by concatenating 'post_visid_high', 'post_visid_low', 'visit_num', and 'visit_start_time_gmt'.

Details about each column is discussed here.

Having said all this, pinpointing your precise requirements is challenging due to the absence of a comparative report to reference. May I recommend that you consider raising an Analytics Ticket with the Adobe Analytics Support Team? Your Support or System Administrator should be adept at assisting you with this process. The support engineers can examine the data first-hand keepimg your expectations in mind, enabling them to provide tailored assistance.

Cheers!

Community Advisor

Strictly speaking, there isn't a one-to-one mapping of GA's Source, Medium, Campaign, Content nor Term to AA. (Surprise! Those are GA-specific dimensions actually.)

AA tracks campaigns based on what gets tracked to its Tracking Code dimension. Since you're migrating from GA to AA, I assume that you are concatenating the utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign, etc. values into one long string and tracking that to Tracking Code. If so, then you can use Classifications to split that long string back to its components.

However, take note that Tracking Code has its own allocation (usually, Most Recent) and expiration (by default: Week, i.e. 7 days). Again, this doesn't gel with GA's campaign definition of most recent non-direct source allocation and 6 months expiration.

Knowing more about how you're tracking your UTM parameters in AA and your Tracking Code's setting in your report suite might help us better help you to solve your issue, if you still want to do a one-to-one comparison of GA vs AA's campaign data.