Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to best track clicks on pdfs

Level 1

Hello All,

I'm trying to capture click-through from email links to pdfs. Currently using campaign tracking, but campaign report not showing usage.

file.pdf?origin=afn_wk

The downloads report shows aggregated numbers of pdf downloads, but I need to know click origin.

Thank you All!

SW

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Solange,

The reason why you're not seeing the campaign variable defined is because pdf files can't really send image requests. On standard web pages, appmeasurement libraries are loaded, which in turn defines the logic to capture that query string parameter and send it to Adobe's servers. If you're wanting to define the campaign variable when link clicks to a PDF file, you'll want to do it on the page prior to opening the PDF.

If you're using a legacy implementation, use an s.tl() call. The link type would be lnk_d, and be sure to set s.linkTrackVars to contain campaign.

If you're using DTM, use a event-based rule to listen for any links to .pdf files. Then in actions, you can set the campaign variable to what you'd like.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Solange,

The reason why you're not seeing the campaign variable defined is because pdf files can't really send image requests. On standard web pages, appmeasurement libraries are loaded, which in turn defines the logic to capture that query string parameter and send it to Adobe's servers. If you're wanting to define the campaign variable when link clicks to a PDF file, you'll want to do it on the page prior to opening the PDF.

If you're using a legacy implementation, use an s.tl() call. The link type would be lnk_d, and be sure to set s.linkTrackVars to contain campaign.

If you're using DTM, use a event-based rule to listen for any links to .pdf files. Then in actions, you can set the campaign variable to what you'd like.

Level 8

Hi Solange,

Could you have a look at the documentation here to see if it solves your query?

Let me know either way.

Regards

Rahul