Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to attribute a conversion CTA to a page

Level 2

What tracking allows to attribute a visitor action or experience to a specific page in the most report efficient way ?

1) Visitor action is a click to a specific link, the link exists on different pages. The clicks are counted in an event.

2) Visitor experience is that another specific page is shown. The same experience can be on different pages. The shows are counted in an event.

Desired report is a list of pages with the actions/experience events as metrics.

P.S. 

there is an eVar "Page" that records instances of viewed pages by name.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Let me try to clarify your question with an example:

You have Page A with Link X that links to Page G. 3 visitors on that page click that same link 5 times between them.

You have Page B with Link Y that links to Page H. 10 visitors on that page click that same link 8 times between them (some visitors didn't click the link).

Based on 1), you would have Link X reported with 5 clicks in your event, and Link Y reported with 8 clicks in that same event. (I assume that you are tracking the link names in an eVar such that you can report the click numbers per link.) And based on 2), you would have Page G reported with >5 shows and Page H reported with >8 shows (shows are greater than clicks because other visitors could have arrived at Pages G and H by some other means).

And what you ultimately want to report is the number of Page G's shows from Link X (i.e. 5) and Page H's shows from Link Y (i.e. 8). Is that correct?

BTW instead of "shows", we normally use the term "views" or "page views". 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Let me try to clarify your question with an example:

You have Page A with Link X that links to Page G. 3 visitors on that page click that same link 5 times between them.

You have Page B with Link Y that links to Page H. 10 visitors on that page click that same link 8 times between them (some visitors didn't click the link).

Based on 1), you would have Link X reported with 5 clicks in your event, and Link Y reported with 8 clicks in that same event. (I assume that you are tracking the link names in an eVar such that you can report the click numbers per link.) And based on 2), you would have Page G reported with >5 shows and Page H reported with >8 shows (shows are greater than clicks because other visitors could have arrived at Pages G and H by some other means).

And what you ultimately want to report is the number of Page G's shows from Link X (i.e. 5) and Page H's shows from Link Y (i.e. 8). Is that correct?

BTW instead of "shows", we normally use the term "views" or "page views". 

Level 2

I should correct your example and add more details about links:

Pages A, B. On each page

1) there are Link X that links to Page G and Link Y that links to Page H. 

2) there is a link Z that is "exit a site" link.

3) with clicks on specific for each page links a user invokes a page K (that is actually a registration form and I use a word "show" in this case)

3) there is no eVar with link names, but there are events each dedicated to its own link clicks. In your example event "Counts of link X clicks", event "Count of link Y clicks" and event "Count of link Z clicks". Also there is an event "Count of times Page K is shown".

Ultimately I want a report with :

Page A    #clicks on X      #clicks on Y    #clicks on Z       #times page K is shown

Page B   #clicks on X      #clicks on Y    #clicks on Z        #times page K is shown

Thanks!

Community Advisor

Aha! Got it. Very clear now!

I assume that you're using Custom Links to track your X and Y link clicks, and an Exit Link to track your Z link clicks. And I also assume that you have an eVar to track the page names in your Custom and Exit Links. If you're not tracking the page names ("Page A", "Page B", etc) in an eVar, then the following solution won't work. You must use an eVar to track the page names with Custom, Download and Exit Links because the built-in "Page" dimension isn't tracked with them.

For the clicks on X, Y, and Z: you should be able to use a freeform table with your page name eVar and the X, Y and Z events.

For the shows of Page K: the easiest solution that I can think of involves an implementation: in all of your pages, track the previous page in an eVar. With that in place, you can break down Page K's page views (the number of shows) by the previous page eVar, and Pages A and B should show up in that breakdown.

Level 2

We do have eVar that records each viewed page name regardless of X, Y, Z links on it. In your solution you use exit and custom links and not events that count each link clicks. Is there a reason why? For a page K I think of using Activity Map Page in a role of page A, B and my "Page Name" eVar for instances of page K views. Both are recorded in the same server call, as I can see.

Do you see a problem with such approach? 

Community Advisor

I had actually meant that you track your page name eVar and your event (X, Y or Z) in a Custom Link or Exit Link beacon. But I then said:

For the clicks on X, Y, and Z: you should be able to use a freeform table with your page name eVar and the X, Y and Z events.

So I am asking you to build your report table using your events.

Yes, you can use Activity Map for Page K as well. I believe it should work as expected.