Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How the referring domains work?

Level 3

Hello, I want to tracking the click of my website from Weibo and WeChat (2 big social media in China), but the referring url/types didn't showed and Weibo/WeChat related information, but the linked in was included in the Referring Domain as a social media.

How can I track the traffic comes from Weibo and WeChat?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Any traffic that goes from app to web will not have any Referrer, because there was no previous web page before the current one opened, so the browser won't set its document.referrer string.

Weibo and WeChat are normally used as mobile apps rather than websites. So you'll encounter this case.

Having said that, you mentioned that your Referrer is getting set as "linkedin.com"? If so, then could it be that you are using LinkedIn's shortened URLs with your Weibo/WeChat posts? If yes, then the user journey is like this:

Weibo / WeChat (app) --> click linkedin.com shortened link (browser) --> your web page (browser).

Since the linkedin.com shortened link is opened in the user's browser, the browser is able to record that as the document.referrer when it opens your web page.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Any traffic that goes from app to web will not have any Referrer, because there was no previous web page before the current one opened, so the browser won't set its document.referrer string.

Weibo and WeChat are normally used as mobile apps rather than websites. So you'll encounter this case.

Having said that, you mentioned that your Referrer is getting set as "linkedin.com"? If so, then could it be that you are using LinkedIn's shortened URLs with your Weibo/WeChat posts? If yes, then the user journey is like this:

Weibo / WeChat (app) --> click linkedin.com shortened link (browser) --> your web page (browser).

Since the linkedin.com shortened link is opened in the user's browser, the browser is able to record that as the document.referrer when it opens your web page.