Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How many Cart Adds from a specific channel converted into Purchases on another?

Level 1

I would like to convince my client that paid social channels are excellent for prospecting new customers and generating Cart Adds. However, there's a perception that paid social doesn't drive as many purchases as search channels, which are currently the primary source of paid conversions.

To address this, I'd like to create a segment that shows how many Cart Adds originating from paid social campaigns ultimately convert into Purchases on other (non-paid social) channels. What's the best way to achieve this?

Here's my attempt at creating a segment for product YYY-123 but I'm not sure if my understanding of Hit/Visit/Visitor scopes is correct:

Visitor scope

• Container 1 - Include (Visit scope)
    • Tracking Code contains XXX (CID for paid social)
    • Cart Add is greater than or equal to 1
    • eVar for Product Code contains YYY-123 (filters only a specific product)

THEN

• Container 2 - Include (Visit scope)
    • Tracking Code does not contain XXX
    • Purchase is greater than or equal to 1
    • eVar for Product Code contains YYY-123
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @JessieRu,

With your visit containers, they are suggesting that the three criteria happen in the same visit, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they happen in the same hit. Take your first part for example. The visit contains a tracking code, a cart addition, and a specific evar. But they don't have to be in the same hit, so you could have a tracking code associated with a product view, but not the cart addition. Or there could be a product view for that product, but a cart addition for a different one, etc. There are a lot of options.

What you want to do instead is having it in a hit container. With the three conditions in the hit container it means they have to all happen together. So the cart addition is for that specific product, with that tracking code. I will also mention, for cart additions, I usually just set my metrics to "exists" instead of having a specific number associated with them. This applies to your second container as well.

Now, the other point. If you have those two containers as visit containers, it means that the cart addition has to happen in one and then the purchase happens in a subsequent visit (but not the same as the cart add). I'm assuming that you want to capture the purchase whether or not it happens in the same visit as the cart add.

So this is what I would suggest:

Visitor scope

• Container 1: Hit level
    • tracking code contains XXX
    • Cart Addition Exists
    • product contains YYY123

Then

• Container 2: Hit level
    • Purchase Exists

What this would do is for a visitor, they have a cart addition tied to that campaign for the product, and then at some time later they have a purchase for the same campaign and product. Having the overall segment at visitor means that these two hits could happen in the same visit or they could happen in different visits. But the "then" operator means that the cart addition always has to come first. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @JessieRu,

With your visit containers, they are suggesting that the three criteria happen in the same visit, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they happen in the same hit. Take your first part for example. The visit contains a tracking code, a cart addition, and a specific evar. But they don't have to be in the same hit, so you could have a tracking code associated with a product view, but not the cart addition. Or there could be a product view for that product, but a cart addition for a different one, etc. There are a lot of options.

What you want to do instead is having it in a hit container. With the three conditions in the hit container it means they have to all happen together. So the cart addition is for that specific product, with that tracking code. I will also mention, for cart additions, I usually just set my metrics to "exists" instead of having a specific number associated with them. This applies to your second container as well.

Now, the other point. If you have those two containers as visit containers, it means that the cart addition has to happen in one and then the purchase happens in a subsequent visit (but not the same as the cart add). I'm assuming that you want to capture the purchase whether or not it happens in the same visit as the cart add.

So this is what I would suggest:

Visitor scope

• Container 1: Hit level
    • Cart Addition Exists

Then

• Container 2: Hit level
    • Purchase Exists

What this would do is for a visitor, they have a cart addition tied to that campaign for the product, and then at some time later they have a purchase for the same campaign and product. Having the overall segment at visitor means that these two hits could happen in the same visit or they could happen in different visits. But the "then" operator means that the cart addition always has to come first.