Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How do I view the path up to a success event?

Level 2

I'd like to be able to see what pages a user viewed before the scCheckout event. In a similar fashion, I have pathing enabled on link clicks, but how can I view the link clicks that led to a specific success event?

Note: I'd like to do this via DTM.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

One way to see this is to use Participation to see which pages are leading to Checkouts.

If you are looking for true pathing, you'd have to use the Previous Page Flow report and Ad Hoc Analysis.  A better approach might be to take pathing up a level and put pages into functional Page Types and look at the Page Types that head to Checkouts and then when you see a large path sequence between a Page Type to Checkout, you can dive deeper into the pages between those two nodes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Joel, I anticipate you've already come across some of the limitations that pathing reports offer. In short, You'll want to make some implementation changes in order to get this specific report.

I tried pulling the data you're looking for, and none of the capabilities (Reports & Analytics, Data Warehouse, Analysis Workspace, Ad Hoc Analysis) could get pathing based on when an event triggered. In order to get previous pages, it must have a page value to start with.

To work around this, you could make sure that all checkout pages are named the same; that way you can simply pull a previous page or previous page flow report to get the exact data you're looking for. You could also create a custom prop with pathing that structures the pages in such a way that allows you to collect this data as well.

Correct answer by
Level 4

One way to see this is to use Participation to see which pages are leading to Checkouts.

If you are looking for true pathing, you'd have to use the Previous Page Flow report and Ad Hoc Analysis.  A better approach might be to take pathing up a level and put pages into functional Page Types and look at the Page Types that head to Checkouts and then when you see a large path sequence between a Page Type to Checkout, you can dive deeper into the pages between those two nodes.