Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do I track specific link's clicks within a web page?

Level 2

I want to track the amount of clicks of "Create an Account" and compare it to the amount of new registered users within a set time period. How would I go about doing this? Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 1

If I were you then I would go with 2 approaches which I am listing below:

* Use CustomLink tag to track the number of clicks on "Create an account"

* Use of an Activity map which is very useful for tracking links. For more info, refer it to https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/analyze/activity-map/activity-map

Community Advisor

Do you have a Create Account page? If you are tracking the clicks, you would be cutting out people who navigate to the page though other means (like coming in directly from Marketing Emails or Search Engines, etc).

Comparing the clicks to the completions may not be the best comparison... whereas comparing the page views of the create account page against the successes would provide you a better result.

If your "create account" is an on page overlay or in page asset, then yes, I can understand the need for the clicks... and in that case, a custom link tag would work better as Activity Map only tracks when the page loads, or as part of custom clicks... so if it doesn't load a new page, you will need a custom click either way.

Level 9

hi @AudreyBr2 

I would go for one click event on the button/link that brings the users to the registration process and one event upon successful completion of the registration form. Page views are, as @Jennifer_Dungan mentioned not reliable. By having two distinct events, you can easily create a fallout visualization from them.

Bear in mind that link tracking in combination with a page navigation is not very reliable anymore and some browsers may cancel the event. To circumvent, you can either use

s.useBeacon = true

see documentation

or

s.bufferRequests = true

see documentation

before you send the tracking request. Latter is only available in the latest AppMeasurement version and will persist the request and only fire it on the next page.

Community Advisor

I think you mis-read my answer, I would use page views on the "create account page" rather than clicks to enter the flow...

Scenario 1 (relying on the click)

• Home Page
  • Click to Create Account (start)
  • Create Account Page
  • Successful Creation (end)

Scenario 2 (relying on the click)

• (Marketing e-mail, linking user to Create Account Page)
  • Create Account Page
  • Successful Creation (end)

Scenario 3 (relying on the click)

• Home Page
  • Click to Create Account (start)
  • Create Account Page
  • Exit without Registration

Scenario 4 (relying on the click)

• (Marketing e-mail, linking user to Create Account Page)
  • Create Account Page
  • Exit without Registration

^ In this flow, there will be 2 start and 2 ends... so the success rate would be 100% (end / start), despite 50% of the flows not converting (so the success looks way higher, and in this simple example tells you every flow resulted in success which is not correct)

If the "Page View" of the Create Account Page is used, the Success Rate would now become 50% (4 starts [i.e. PV of the Page] and 2 ends).

Now if you don't want to rely on the actual "Page View" metric, then a custom event could be set up to fire on the Create Account Page (eventX, that only triggers on this specific page)... but honestly, a segment for "Hit: Page equals Create Account Page" and using Page Views will match the custom event that is triggered on the page....