Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How do I create a data element that captures all of my events for pathing?

Level 4

I am trying to implement pathing that includes page names and all of the events I implemented in DTM. On a blog I read the, the author mentioned to me that he created two data elements. One for page name and the other for custom hits. 

See below what blog author told me what he did. 

"I did two data elements, one for pagename and for custom hits. Then in the tool settings -> global variables, I added propX with my data elements. This wasn’t enough for custom hits, so I had to add custom code (can be found in the bottom of all the settings) s.linkTrackVars=”propX”; and voila it sent my custom hit to that prop when I tested with certain clickable element. This way you get to automate the process, but of course you could always manually add this prop to every custom hit you make in DTM, and that should also work.

Sorry for “not so detailed” instructions, just too busy at the moment. But if you could tell me more about the problem, then hopefully I can give more advice. Or maybe better to ask in Adobe’s help forum, I’m sure there are many hardcore DTM users and they surely can give you better guidance?"

I am interested in doing the same thing, but not sure of all the steps needed to do so.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Pathing can be enabled on any Traffic Variable, not just Page Name.  The most common uses of Pathing are Page Name and Site Sections (s.channel), but there are many creative uses for Pathing beyond this.  For example, if you want to have an easy way to see the order that site visitors view your products, you can pass the product name or ID# to a Traffic Variable on each product page and then enable pathing to see which products are viewed concurrently.
you can also track Sub-section in s.propX... till 4-5th depth based on your requirements.

s.channel: SiteStructure 1st level name
s.prop4: SiteStructure 2nd level name
s.prop5: SiteStructure 3rd level name
s.prop6: SiteStructure 2nd level name

so in short you have add all these props to your page load tracking and you will be done.

read this for theory: http://analyticsdemystified.com/adobe-analytics/page-type-pathing/

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Pathing can be enabled on any Traffic Variable, not just Page Name.  The most common uses of Pathing are Page Name and Site Sections (s.channel), but there are many creative uses for Pathing beyond this.  For example, if you want to have an easy way to see the order that site visitors view your products, you can pass the product name or ID# to a Traffic Variable on each product page and then enable pathing to see which products are viewed concurrently.
you can also track Sub-section in s.propX... till 4-5th depth based on your requirements.

s.channel: SiteStructure 1st level name
s.prop4: SiteStructure 2nd level name
s.prop5: SiteStructure 3rd level name
s.prop6: SiteStructure 2nd level name

so in short you have add all these props to your page load tracking and you will be done.

read this for theory: http://analyticsdemystified.com/adobe-analytics/page-type-pathing/

Level 4

I used a s.doPlugins, which will automatically capture any event I implement in the path report.

Level 10

Bsmith320 wrote...

I used a s.doPlugins, which will automatically capture any event I implement in the path report.

Hi Bsmith320,

The s.doPlugins() method acts like a call back function that hands you the “s object” and allows you to modify it before it is sent out.

s.doPlugins() method is defined in the s_code.js file. This file is loaded on every page that is tracked on the site! so this enable you to use s.XXX; nothing more.

Level 4

The code that I implemented in the global section of DTM is working for me. I am reporting the page names and clicks in my path report. Plus, when I another event, it will automatically be picked up in the path report.

Bill