Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How can I overwrite the referrer with an empty string

Level 3

Hi,

When a visitor types the URL of page A in the browser a redirect occurs to the page B.
On the B page the URL is b/?ref= and document.referrer=A

I set s.referrer = s.Util.getQueryParam("ref"); however since it's an empty string the value from document.referrer shows up.

Any advice?

Thank You!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Andre,

That's the expected behavior if it is a server redirection. This is because AA referrer will not be set automatically on Page A but only on Page B where the document.referrer is Page A.

For page-level redirections, if the Adobe Analytics call was triggered before the redirection, the AA referrer value will be empty and thus you will see an empty value at the landing page (Here, Page B).

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Andre,

That's the expected behavior if it is a server redirection. This is because AA referrer will not be set automatically on Page A but only on Page B where the document.referrer is Page A.

For page-level redirections, if the Adobe Analytics call was triggered before the redirection, the AA referrer value will be empty and thus you will see an empty value at the landing page (Here, Page B).

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

Level 3
Hi Pratheep, agree that is the default expected behavior. That's why I'm using the s.referrer to overwrite the value with an empty string. Somehow the overwrite is not working and I still get the value from document.referrer.

Level 4

@andreis65119307 If u set s.referrer = s.Util.getQueryParam("ref"); for the url b/?ref= final value of s.referrer will be empty (s.referrer = ' ');, Appmeasurement library will considered this as s.referrer is not defined and it will assign document.referrer as s.referrer value. For avoiding this you can assign the value of as s.referrer="Empty" or s.referrer="none"(string value to be assigned) if s.Util.getQueryParam("ref"); value is null/empty or ' '.

Level 3

What if I use the adobe_mc_ref parameter
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/integrate/a4t/a4t-faq/a4t-faq-redirect-offers.h...

In test it looks like it works, any experience with it for this scenario?

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?