Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How can I explain tracking code in First Touch Channel = SEO?

Level 2

Dear Community,

I have troubles explaining our user the existence of tracking code in First Touch Channel - SEO. I understand persistence of Tracking code. I understand why there is a tracking code in Last Touch Channel - SEO. But First Touch Channel should be the first channel of the visit, so in theory SEO should be clean.

TomTheAnalyst_0-1676999224291.png

And yeah, amount of visits from SEO/FTC is significantly lower but they are still there...

Our SEO in processing rules is configured to matches natural search engine detection and tracking code does not exist.

Could you please help me understand it?

TomTheAnalyst

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your expiry is set to 30 days... so Feb 1 and Feb 10th would both fall within that range... the "First Touch Channel" would be what was recorded on Feb 1. This value is persistent for the next 30 days (it was the first channel recorded for the user). You are also specifically looking at the "first touch", so even if a new channel was recorded on Feb 10, you aren't looking at that value.

Your "Most Recent" tracking on your Tracking Code dimension will look at the last value that was recorded... and again, with a 30 day retention there, until that value is overwritten.....

So you very well could be seeing mismatched data... retention and attribution can be a tricky thing to deal with.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

What retention policies do you have set up on your marketing channels, and on your eVar0 (s.campaign)

These may not be set to the same retention....

Marketing Channels could be set up for a 30 Day Expiry.. or they could be set for a 7 Day Expiry, etc....

(Admin > Report Suites > Edit Settings > Marketing Channels > Marketing Channel Expiration)

^ First Touch channel will be the first value collected within that expiry period.. if you have 6 months set, then it would be the first channel recorded 6 months ago

Also, you need to check your Marketing Channel Manager for the override policy

(Admin > Report Suites > Edit Settings > Marketing Channels > Marketing Channel Manager)

Some Channels may be set to override others (or not override) within the expiry period.

Now, you need to look at your eVar settings to see what expiry you have set on your Campaign tracking
(Admin > Report Suites > Edit Settings > Conversion > Conversion Variables)

Check the "Expire After" on your Tracking Codes....

If your marketing channels and your tracking codes are set to different expiry times that could explain a lot of the mismatch....

This is often why you record your "tracking code" as your "Marketing Channel Detail" so that you can see the values in conjunction with the Channel when the value is set....

Level 2

Hello Jennnifer,

Conversion variables:

TomTheAnalyst_0-1677016565862.png

Marketing Channels:

TomTheAnalyst_1-1677016590633.png

Manager:

TomTheAnalyst_2-1677016694390.png

So everything looks like its set up the same way. Also to avoid misunderstanding: I rarely break down Marketing Chanel by tracking code. I've learned its wrong and I teach users the same way. Some mechanics behind Adobe Analytics are just a mystery for me, so I've made an exception to understand it more Having said that, thank you @MandyGeorge, for the link. I have it already in my bookmark, but I just need an information whether there is an explanation for this or this is unintended and never-to-be-used mechanics behind Adobe Analytics.

tom

Community Advisor

Even with the same period, they might be offset a bit?

Like maybe Marketing Channel was set 3 weeks ago, and the Tracking Code was set 2 weeks ago?

The other thing is that Marketing Channels have some pretty interesting ways of funneling the data (and sometimes overriding, and other times not overriding data), but Tracking Codes are set to "Most Recent"...

It can really cause some interesting discrepancies....

Level 2

I am heavily thinking about what you've said:

Like maybe Marketing Channel was set 3 weeks ago, and the Tracking Code was set 2 weeks ago?

But if first visit was SEO on 1st Feb, then lets say on 10th of Feb user came from Paid search, then yes, both channels will be registered and visible in reporting but i think there is no way the First Touch Channel got the tracking code from 1st visit. Or is it? Does AA do that? This setting - Most Recent, could show tracking code for the user?

Tom

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your expiry is set to 30 days... so Feb 1 and Feb 10th would both fall within that range... the "First Touch Channel" would be what was recorded on Feb 1. This value is persistent for the next 30 days (it was the first channel recorded for the user). You are also specifically looking at the "first touch", so even if a new channel was recorded on Feb 10, you aren't looking at that value.

Your "Most Recent" tracking on your Tracking Code dimension will look at the last value that was recorded... and again, with a 30 day retention there, until that value is overwritten.....

So you very well could be seeing mismatched data... retention and attribution can be a tricky thing to deal with.

Level 2

I think I get it now. Thanks for helping me grasp it, @Jennifer_Dungan.

Have a good day!

Community Advisor

You're welcome... to be honest.. sometimes I hate trying to wrap my head around different attributions like that.... but at this time, that is my feeling... that the way the data is stitching is based on different attributions and causing this odd scenario....

If you have access to raw data, it would be interesting to pull out a path for one specific user and actually trace all the values through one hit at a time to really see what is happening.

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

This blog post might also help you explain it, it's laid out pretty well. 

https://terrynwinter.com/adobe-analytics-last-touch-channel-versus-tracking-code/