Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

First ever visitor to my site

Level 1

I'm trying to generate a free form table that displays people who visited my site for the first time in the past 6 months.  If I use your First Time Visits dimension, does that truly represent people that have never visited? I see that the description for the First Time Visits = 0, but I want to be really sure about interpreting this to be First Time Ever if I want to isolate to the past 6 months.  I need to be able to answer the question "How many of our visitors are new to our website in the past 6 months?"

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

(Not answering your question directly)

Take note that with growing awareness of data privacy and browser blocking technologies, visitor identification could be becoming inaccurate. For example, a user who tends to open your same website in private windows will always get identified as a new visitor (and always be a "first time visit"), even though he is really the same visitor with multiple visits.

So I hope your business question has taken this into consideration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

the First Time Visits segment is "first time ever" (it's based off of the Visit Number which is a lifetime metric...

If you can hold off for a little bit, I have a solution for this.. but I am scheduled to present it in the Analytics Rock Star event at Adobe Summit in a few weeks (so I don't want to let the surprise out early)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

(Not answering your question directly)

Take note that with growing awareness of data privacy and browser blocking technologies, visitor identification could be becoming inaccurate. For example, a user who tends to open your same website in private windows will always get identified as a new visitor (and always be a "first time visit"), even though he is really the same visitor with multiple visits.

So I hope your business question has taken this into consideration.