Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Exit Links and Multiple Tabs

Level 4

Hi there,

I've been curious for a while now about the exit links report and how this works with multi-tab browsing. My question is - if an external (exit) link click opens a new window or tab, is this counted as an exit (as technically you remain on the site in another tab) - or would I have to create a custom exit links variable to track this?

Thanks

Toby

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

It depends how you have exit link tracking set up, but typically if you are using JS managed auto-tracking of exit links it does not matter if it opens a new window or tab. See below reference article:
https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/link_automatic.html

The parameters trackDownloadLinks and trackExternalLinks determine if automatic file download and exit link tracking are enabled. When enabled, any link with a file type matching one of the values in linkDownloadFileTypes is automatically tracked as a file download. Any link with a URL that does not contain one of the values in linkInternalFilters is automatically tracked as an exit link.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee

It depends how you have exit link tracking set up, but typically if you are using JS managed auto-tracking of exit links it does not matter if it opens a new window or tab. See below reference article:
https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/link_automatic.html

The parameters trackDownloadLinks and trackExternalLinks determine if automatic file download and exit link tracking are enabled. When enabled, any link with a file type matching one of the values in linkDownloadFileTypes is automatically tracked as a file download. Any link with a URL that does not contain one of the values in linkInternalFilters is automatically tracked as an exit link.

Best,

Brian