Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Exclusion in a segment : difference between Hit and Visit

Level 1

Hello,

I created a segment with a VISIT top level container.

Inside this segment, I have a container which is excluded.

I don't have the same results if this container is a HIT container or a VISIT container, and I don't understand why.

Could you explain me how the exclusion works with a HIT container in a VISIT Top level container ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

case 1: exclude hit-container with homepage

in this case, you open each box where all hits to homepage are "invisible" (they are still IN the box but are not visible for your view/filter). if the box is not empty you take the whole box (as matching your view). two things to pay attention:

a) you basically only throw away those boxes where the homepage was the only hit. all other visits had "visible" hits.

b) you take the whole visit including homepage! since your outer container is "visit", you take all hits if the "box" matches. and the homepage turns visible for reporting

case 2: exclude a visit container with homepage

pretty similar than case 1 but one big difference: if a visit had the match "homepage" the whole visit gets "invisible". that means only those visits will match, where the user has never seen the homepage

what is the difference? in case one you have more visits, exactly those visits that have seen the homepage and at least one more page.

for this description I assume that you "exclude the inner container" not "exclude pages where homepage" (gear icon of container)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

case 1: exclude hit-container with homepage

in this case, you open each box where all hits to homepage are "invisible" (they are still IN the box but are not visible for your view/filter). if the box is not empty you take the whole box (as matching your view). two things to pay attention:

a) you basically only throw away those boxes where the homepage was the only hit. all other visits had "visible" hits.

b) you take the whole visit including homepage! since your outer container is "visit", you take all hits if the "box" matches. and the homepage turns visible for reporting

case 2: exclude a visit container with homepage

pretty similar than case 1 but one big difference: if a visit had the match "homepage" the whole visit gets "invisible". that means only those visits will match, where the user has never seen the homepage

what is the difference? in case one you have more visits, exactly those visits that have seen the homepage and at least one more page.

for this description I assume that you "exclude the inner container" not "exclude pages where homepage" (gear icon of container)

Level 1

Thank you very much for your answer !