Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

eVar vs Props

Former Community Member

Can anyone explain the difference between an eVar and props?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

eVars persist, whereas s.Props do not. s.Props can use pathing, whereas eVars cannot.

For example, if you figure out a visitor's demographics, such as age or zip code, you'd want to put that in an eVar, so that when they convert, you'd be able to see this data.

If you're measuring traffic, like link clicks, actions, etc. it would make sense to use an s.Prop.

Sometimes it might make sense to use both for the same data.

Reference: Comparing Props and eVars

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

eVars persist, whereas s.Props do not. s.Props can use pathing, whereas eVars cannot.

For example, if you figure out a visitor's demographics, such as age or zip code, you'd want to put that in an eVar, so that when they convert, you'd be able to see this data.

If you're measuring traffic, like link clicks, actions, etc. it would make sense to use an s.Prop.

Sometimes it might make sense to use both for the same data.

Reference: Comparing Props and eVars

Employee Advisor

This is great, thanks nikitarama

I do want to point out that eVars can be pathed in Analysis Workspace, just like props.

One advantage that props do have, is the ability to enable them as list props - which can capture multiple dimensional items in a single hit: List Props

eVars have the ability to have Allocation, Expiration, Merchandising, and Counter settings applied. More details here: Conversion Variables (eVar)

I'm seeing less and less the need to copy values to *both* an eVar and a prop. Most likely, you'll want to use an eVar if there's a need for persistence, if there isn't, a prop will do.