Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Entry Pages Showing Home Pages, while the target page is a product page

Level 2

Hi All,

We are running paid campaigns with landing pages as product pages. To analyse the campaign landing page performance we pulled a entry pages report (with segment as tracking code contains -aaj- for paid campaigns) and found home page appearing at a hit level segment. Questions -

1. How can home page be a entry page for someone clicking on a paid campaign targeting product landing page?

2. Is this happening because tracking code is following the user whose visit expired?

Thanks,

Sravanth

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Sravanth,

As you predicted, tracking code(s.campaign) is based on its expiration.

Lets say, i came to your site first time by clicking the link with tracking code 'Test' and Landing Page is Credit Card product page. Lets assume tracking code expiration is 1 year.

Again i came to your site after a month naturally with Home Page as entry.

Again 3rd time with some other Page as entry.

So if you segment, Tracking Code 'Test' will have 3 entry pages (Because expiration is 1 year): Credit Card product page, Home Page and Other. The reason is because Entry Page attribute based on visits.

Rather then segmentation, select Click Through as a metric and pull in the Page Names. Click Through will fire only on Landing Page and thus your results will become accurate.

Thank You

Arun

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Sravanth,

As you predicted, tracking code(s.campaign) is based on its expiration.

Lets say, i came to your site first time by clicking the link with tracking code 'Test' and Landing Page is Credit Card product page. Lets assume tracking code expiration is 1 year.

Again i came to your site after a month naturally with Home Page as entry.

Again 3rd time with some other Page as entry.

So if you segment, Tracking Code 'Test' will have 3 entry pages (Because expiration is 1 year): Credit Card product page, Home Page and Other. The reason is because Entry Page attribute based on visits.

Rather then segmentation, select Click Through as a metric and pull in the Page Names. Click Through will fire only on Landing Page and thus your results will become accurate.

Thank You

Arun

Level 8
Level 8

Hello Arun,

I read your reply and find it's helpful to my questions as well.

May I ask further: I see expiration on some tracking code set as 30 days even longer, too.

But as far as I can see, the expiration can be set after "visit" ends.

So why a lot of expiration set as longer? As the OP mentioned, 1 year.

I hope you may share any of your opinion.

BTW, I didn't see "click-through" in metrics, is it because we disabled it?

Thanks.

H

Community Advisor

Dear H_L,

Expiration is based on Business Requirement.

The reason why expiration is set longer is to understand the actual impact of any campaign.

Lets assume a scenario : An user got an eDM with some Offer. He viewed it but didn't click the same to convert.

Later in another day, while he/she in in need of the product, he/she tried to search for the offer in Google and get converted.

Now though the conversion is attributed to Google, it is because of the eDM right?

so to understand the Campaign actual efficiency, expiration is set longer.

For your another question on Click-Throughs.

It is not available in Work Space, In Work Space you can use Tracking Code Instances.

Thank You

Arun

Level 8
Level 8

Hello Arun,

Thanks for the explanation and the example.

So I will discuss internally about the expiration since we have "first touch channel" and "last touch channel" configured for the successful conversion activities.

Best Regards,

H