Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

DW includes records that should have been excluded

Level 4

The DW extracts often include a substantial number of records that should have specifically been excluded by the segment applied in the extract.

For example, segment container is Hit, and the condition is that eVarX does not equal "Unspecified" (we have also tried it with the condition eVarX exists - same result). And yet, the extract contains tens of thousands or records where eVarX is blank. Checking these records in Workspace produces "Unspecified" as the value for eVarX .

The impact is that the extracts are oftentimes bloated x10, they take longer, and require additional cleansing. Any suggestions on how to prevent the extracts from picking up these records?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

It looks you are using same segment filter and also doing a breakdown on the same segment which is causing this error.

• A segment filters data out of a data set.
  • A breakdown categorizes data across all valid values for the breakdown.

You can break down a report by one or more segments. But, you cannot include both a segment filter and a breakdown on the same segment, in the same Data Warehouse report. This will result in an error.

Ex. use segments to remove the city from the data set, and use a breakdown to see data separated by city.  In your case eVarX

Thanks,

Asheesh

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

It looks you are using same segment filter and also doing a breakdown on the same segment which is causing this error.

• A segment filters data out of a data set.
  • A breakdown categorizes data across all valid values for the breakdown.

You can break down a report by one or more segments. But, you cannot include both a segment filter and a breakdown on the same segment, in the same Data Warehouse report. This will result in an error.

Ex. use segments to remove the city from the data set, and use a breakdown to see data separated by city.  In your case eVarX

Thanks,

Asheesh

Level 4

Thank you Asheeshp,

This is good to know, although why wouldn't Adobe filter these records out of the extract is not clear to me.

For example, if I want to extract the transactions per visitor where the visitor is "registered" and not a "guest", I would apply the "not a guest" segment, but I absolutely do need the visitor dimension in the extract, to know the visitor for each transaction.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you