Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Duplicate events and how it will affect in AA

Level 3

I have written a code 

s.events = s.events ? s.events + ",event100=” + s._pltLoadtime: "event100=" + s._pltLoadtime ;

in AA extension in configure code,

But then when a exit call or download call was firing this event100 is populating like 6 times in a server call , Is this fine or will it affect Analytics( will the analytics detect duplicate).?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If it's in the same call (i.e. exit sending "event100,event100,event100,event100,event100,event100" for instance), then no, clear vars won't help...

Think of Launch like a series of actions that perform parts of the code...

Let's say "part c" is setting your events, and "part x" is the final piece that sends the tracking call...

The order doesn't matter, so long as "part x" is last, so in an efficient system, you might have:

• part a
  • part c
  • part b
  • part d
  • part y
  • part x

However, it looks like your "part c" is getting called multiple times:

• part a
  • part c
  • part b
  • part c
  • part d
  • part c
  • part x

Each time "part c" is run, it's appending another version of event100 into your events list...

Here is the next question, if your event100 is "Load Time", why is it sending on Exit and Download actions? It really should only be set on page views... since this is supposed to measure how long it took the page to load..  triggering actions like exits or downloads shouldn't contain that value at all, there's no context in which that makes sense... 

However, it is possible that the the values from the page load are spilling over into your exit / download links... using ClearVars would in theory prevent the page's "event100" from carrying forward to the actions.... but the actions shouldn't be setting it at all (and if they are, then that could result in two event100s... but not six....)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

I think this will be treated as additional calls... I recall someone a while ago mention a scenario where one particular user was firing the same event hundreds of times in the same call ("eventx,eventx,eventx,....") and it was causing issues...

It sounds like were you have your code:

s.events = s.events ? s.events + ",event100=” + s._pltLoadtime: "event100=" + s._pltLoadtime ;

is in the wrong place, something that is being executed multiple times when the page is loaded...

You should try to figured out why that is happening an move this somewhere more reasonable.. 

Even if only to make your implementation more streamlined and efficient... but I also feel this will impact your data... so it's really important to fix.

Level 3

Hi can I use 

s.events = apl(s.events,",event100=” + s._pltLoadtime)

Will this work?

Community Advisor

I'm 99% sure you will end up with the same problem... 

That code is just a "fancier" way to append more values onto the end of s.events....

In both cases, new versions of event100 will be added to your s.events variable multiple times...

This is an issue with where you are calling the code, not the code itself.

I use code like
s.events = s.events ? s.events + ",eventx” : "eventx";

in my code all the time, and I never encounter the issue you did.

Level 3

Okay , But i just thought in the documentation it is told it will prevent duplicates to append, So i thought if this may?

I am still trying to find what is causing multiple events but haven't got any clue..

Community Advisor

Honestly, I don't use most of the Adobe plugins... they are hard to diagnose when they do go wrong because the code is overly complex for what 90% of people are using them for (since they build in like 20 different uses and options based on passing different parameters).. while it may prevent duplication (I really don't know), the code itself will still be executed 6 times which isn't going to be a terribly efficient implementation...

You can certainly try the plugin, to see if it will get you around passing the same event multiple times, but it really is in your best effort to try and discover why the code is running that many times in the first place....

Level 3

I have doubt , Since I have told the events are duplicating in exit call and download call. So , it could be that the page is not changing , so the old values are persisting.

But, I highly doubt clear vars would work or not.

What's your thought on this?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If it's in the same call (i.e. exit sending "event100,event100,event100,event100,event100,event100" for instance), then no, clear vars won't help...

Think of Launch like a series of actions that perform parts of the code...

Let's say "part c" is setting your events, and "part x" is the final piece that sends the tracking call...

The order doesn't matter, so long as "part x" is last, so in an efficient system, you might have:

• part a
  • part c
  • part b
  • part d
  • part y
  • part x

However, it looks like your "part c" is getting called multiple times:

• part a
  • part c
  • part b
  • part c
  • part d
  • part c
  • part x

Each time "part c" is run, it's appending another version of event100 into your events list...

Here is the next question, if your event100 is "Load Time", why is it sending on Exit and Download actions? It really should only be set on page views... since this is supposed to measure how long it took the page to load..  triggering actions like exits or downloads shouldn't contain that value at all, there's no context in which that makes sense... 

However, it is possible that the the values from the page load are spilling over into your exit / download links... using ClearVars would in theory prevent the page's "event100" from carrying forward to the actions.... but the actions shouldn't be setting it at all (and if they are, then that could result in two event100s... but not six....)