Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Direct traffic: Referring Domain vs Referrer Type report ?

Level 5

Hi,

for analyzing direct traffic, would you suggest using a segment based on the referring domain report (referring domain does not exist) or using the referrer type report (referrer type equals typed/bookmarked)?

What's the difference? In my understanding there shouldn't be any, but if I look at the numbers, the set up with "referring domain does not exist" gives me more hits, more visits and more visitors (about 10-15% higher figures). How come?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to Adobe Community.

Not sure on how you are building the segment. If you are using Visitor as a the container then the data would be more as it would take the data Visitor wise. You need to create a segment with the definition Referring domain equals Typed/Bookmarked for the numbers to match with the referrer type report.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to Adobe Community.

Not sure on how you are building the segment. If you are using Visitor as a the container then the data would be more as it would take the data Visitor wise. You need to create a segment with the definition Referring domain equals Typed/Bookmarked for the numbers to match with the referrer type report.

Thanks!

Level 5

No, I used Hits so not to mess up with persisting tags.

Btw: I just noticed this is in the wrong forum, could you put it in Analytics, since it belongs there? Thanks!