Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Differentiating Threads Traffic from Instagram

Level 2

Hello! I am trying to see if there is a way to distinctly track referral traffic to my company's site via Threads vs. referral traffic via Instagram? And if so, which metric in Adobe Analytics would be most useful for this (I would assume "Referring Domain")?

Appreciate any help or context!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

We've been looking into that too... so far is seems to be a hot mess..

It's a weird mix of Instagram and direct... what we really need is for Threads to get their act together and provide proper referrals...  I don't know if this is something we can determine properly at this time....

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

We've been looking into that too... so far is seems to be a hot mess..

It's a weird mix of Instagram and direct... what we really need is for Threads to get their act together and provide proper referrals...  I don't know if this is something we can determine properly at this time....

Level 2

Ahh, that was my fear! I did hear rumblings from our social media team that Threads traffic was overlapping with Instagram.

Guess we will play the waiting game. Appreciate the context and speedy response, Jennifer!

Community Advisor

You're welcome! If I manage to come up with a solution, I will let you know!

Community Advisor

Jennifer is absoulatly righ here. However, you can enable the marketing channel report with query string paramter for Instagram and other reffering domain, which will help you to differentiate traffic.

Community Advisor

Yep.. but this will only work for content posted from your internal sources where you can control your campaign codes (utm_source=threads or cid=xxx_xxx_threads_xxx), or from "Share to Threads" commands that are coded for your users from your sites (if anyone has that yet....).. 

Unfortunately, organic posts from users to your sites won't have coverage.... 

But I guess in this case, partial is better than nothing at this point

Community Advisor

I find it's better to keep discussions going to allow for more perspectives, ideas and sharing of new ways to deal with some issues... 

Particularly when we're dealing with something new like Threads... 

I bet a lot of people will be encountering this same issue, and with Threads being so new, I suspect there will be a lot of changes deployed on their side in the coming months (hopefully changes that will help resolve the analytics issues)

Level 2

100% agree, the only way we can move forward is hearing all different kinds of perspectives/approaches.

And well said, it really is super early on so I wasn't expecting any immediate fully integrated analytics capabilities by any means!

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Adding campaign codes to track traffic from Threads has been helpful in measuring the behavior of our early audience on the app. It is annoying because the platform is exclusively on an app so our content creators have to toggle through different tools to implement a trackable URL, but it has given us some good insights on whether users click on links (not many do), etc. 

Hopefully, it won't be app-only for long or have an API available to get more aggregated data.