Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Difference between segments and filters - non default attribution

Level 1

Hi guys, I've got question about difference between segments and filtres when using them in non default attribution. 
I've got segment which is defined like this
segment.png

And filter which is defined like this 

filter.png

And I'm getting totally different numbers on every metrics. Any idea why? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Segments work very differently than filters. Segments are based on containers: hit, visit and visitor. 

You are using Visitor container. Assuming you are using the segment in Pages report, ALL pages from visitors who saw "campaign contains affil" (and not just the hits/Pages where the campaign was affil) will be shown in the report. While filter will give you the page names, only where "campaign contains affil".

More details on segment containers and how they work can be found here.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Segments work very differently than filters. Segments are based on containers: hit, visit and visitor. 

You are using Visitor container. Assuming you are using the segment in Pages report, ALL pages from visitors who saw "campaign contains affil" (and not just the hits/Pages where the campaign was affil) will be shown in the report. While filter will give you the page names, only where "campaign contains affil".

More details on segment containers and how they work can be found here.