Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Data Warehouse export / Reporting API differences

Level 3

Hi all, 

i wanted to ask what are the main differences between Data Warehouse and Reporting API in order to understand which is the best to use. 

We have to export a csv file to an external data lake (they need aggregated metrics with a specified granularity). 

I see less effort in implementing Data Warehouse export to an FTP location, but can it be more efficient the Reporting API? 

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

@nico9 There are some metrics and dimensions which are not supported in data warehouse which can be exported through reporting api. You would need to know what are the metrics and dimensions you want to report based on that you can decide which one to use.

Here is the documentation on which of the metrics and dimensions that are not supported

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/export/data-warehouse/component-support.html?lang=...

Employee

If you are looking to extract large datasets out of Adobe Analytics, Data Warehouse is a recommended Tool.

Data Warehouse should be used:

• To access variables otherwise hidden in the UI - IP address, Experience Cloud ID, Analytics Visitor ID, Page URL)
  • To access more granular data than the UI (denormalized table view)
  • To download data in a format suitable for a Pivot Table input
  • If the client wants to input Adobe data into a third-party data visualization tool (slightly summarized, and not hit level)
  • To access all unique dimension items if you are running into “Low Traffic” in Adobe Analytics

Not all components and segments are compatible with Data Warehouse (Discussed here- Components | Segments). As an alternative Reporting API steps in. Reporting API  2.0 has sure advantages over the Reporting API 1.4.