Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Customer Loyalty dimension - cross device behaviour

Level 1

Hi there, 

I have a question regarding the customer loyalty dimension. Understand the below are the current definitions: 

• Not a customer: At the time of the hit, the visitor has never made a purchase before.
  • New customers: At the time of the hit, the visitor made a single purchase before.
  • Return customers: At the time of the hit, the visitor made two purchases before.
  • Loyal customers: At the time of the hit, the visitor made three or more purchases before

Do these segments act like 'unique visitors' in that they're technically 'unique devices'? So, if I purchased something on Web and then came back a week later and purchased on app, would I be classed as 2 new customers? Even if I logged in both times? 

Thank you!

Sonia

2 Accepted Solutions

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unless you have your ECIDs linked up between your website and your app... the different contexts/browser/web vs app/etc will be treated like individuals... UNLESS you have access to Adobe's Device Graph (part of the Ultimate package and CJA) that will allow you to create segments by "People" rather than by "Unique Visitor" (which is honestly more like unique device - too bad we can't rename this to prevent confusion... back in the day this was the closest equivalent that analytics had, and generally there was a single family computer... but now with most people using multiple devices the naming is really out of date).

The Device stitching should take the user logging in to help map the different contexts to the same "person"... but without that feature, UVs do not take that into account.

Note that the current solution keeping ECID for App and Web consistent is to use the Append ECID to URL in the app... this means any users who open a webview or click on a link in the app that opens the website, the App's ECID will over-write the website one so that those users will be stitched to the same ECID... however, it doesn't work web to app, and it doesn't work if the user opens the app and the website separately (never moving directly between the two).

View solution in original post

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I can answer this for you in one of two ways:

If you have your experience completely separate between web and mobile app, then the answer is definitely yes, this will appear to look like activity coming from two separate customers (i.e., devices).

However, if you have cross-device tracking in place (there's a parameter you can add to your Exit URL - starts with 'adobe_mc='), then it is possible to see only one customer IF AND ONLY IF their activity originated on from Native (the Mobile App), but ONLY in that direction.

If you really want to get fancy, you can also include Internal Campaign Tracking parameters to further analyze your customers' behavior, but that's going beyond what you asked.  

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unless you have your ECIDs linked up between your website and your app... the different contexts/browser/web vs app/etc will be treated like individuals... UNLESS you have access to Adobe's Device Graph (part of the Ultimate package and CJA) that will allow you to create segments by "People" rather than by "Unique Visitor" (which is honestly more like unique device - too bad we can't rename this to prevent confusion... back in the day this was the closest equivalent that analytics had, and generally there was a single family computer... but now with most people using multiple devices the naming is really out of date).

The Device stitching should take the user logging in to help map the different contexts to the same "person"... but without that feature, UVs do not take that into account.

Note that the current solution keeping ECID for App and Web consistent is to use the Append ECID to URL in the app... this means any users who open a webview or click on a link in the app that opens the website, the App's ECID will over-write the website one so that those users will be stitched to the same ECID... however, it doesn't work web to app, and it doesn't work if the user opens the app and the website separately (never moving directly between the two).

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I can answer this for you in one of two ways:

If you have your experience completely separate between web and mobile app, then the answer is definitely yes, this will appear to look like activity coming from two separate customers (i.e., devices).

However, if you have cross-device tracking in place (there's a parameter you can add to your Exit URL - starts with 'adobe_mc='), then it is possible to see only one customer IF AND ONLY IF their activity originated on from Native (the Mobile App), but ONLY in that direction.

If you really want to get fancy, you can also include Internal Campaign Tracking parameters to further analyze your customers' behavior, but that's going beyond what you asked.  

Jeff Bloomer