Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Custom link tracking with First party cookie

Level 1

Hi, 

Recently, I was working on custom link tracking on client site. The site support first party cookie. I have used s.tl() method to track link name clicked by a user and i see the data in site catalyst. 

onclick="

s_sitecatalyst.tl("true", 'o', '<Link name>');"

I am getting data from the above implementation also. The above code can be used on site which accepts 3rd party cookie or 1st party cookie.

But i am wondering, how does first party cookie will affect custom link tracking. Like shown below- 

onclick="    

s.linkTrackVars = "trackingServer,trackingServerSecure";
        s_sitecatalyst.trackingServer="<your url >";
        s_sitecatalyst.trackingServerSecure="<url >";
        s_sitecatalyst.tl("true", 'o', '<Link name>');"

The above code i have found in knowledge base. This can be used only if your site accepts first party cookie.

I am sure we will be getting data in both ways but what is the main difference in data collection ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Abhishek,

A first-party cookie implementation sets s.trackingServer and s.trackingServerSecure within its s_code file. If the s object already exists on the page, then it will not generally be necessary to re-specify these values within s.tl() calls. In most cases, the s object is created on page load as the s_code file is loaded, so you will not need to follow this example in most cases. More generally speaking, calling s.t() or s.tl() just sends data to the 3rd- or 1st-party server as specified, with no other effect on execution beyond the destination server.

Andy

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Abhishek,

A first-party cookie implementation sets s.trackingServer and s.trackingServerSecure within its s_code file. If the s object already exists on the page, then it will not generally be necessary to re-specify these values within s.tl() calls. In most cases, the s object is created on page load as the s_code file is loaded, so you will not need to follow this example in most cases. More generally speaking, calling s.t() or s.tl() just sends data to the 3rd- or 1st-party server as specified, with no other effect on execution beyond the destination server.

Andy