Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Count scCheckout event once per purchase setting

Level 5

Hi team,

I am wondering how can I implement scCheckout to count once per purchase done by user. What setting needs to be updated in Analytics Admin settings.

@yuhuisg ,  Yes I agree every check out is not meant for Purchase, but my query is to capture one count of scCheckout for one purchase.  Each purchase should have only one count of scCheckout.  If I select "record once per visit" for scCheckout then I will lose scCheckout count if more than one order is placed in the same visit. If I select "always record" for scCheckout then I will get more count of scCheckout if user visit Checkout page multiple times.  If I select "use eventID" for scCheckout then I will get only one count for life long purchase done by user. Please help me.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @dinesh_kumar_r ,

From what it sounds like, your best bet would be to SERIALIZE the event.  Our team has done this before where we serialized using a Cart ID and by doing this, the Checkout step only gets fired ONCE per purchase.  Does that sound like a solution for your business problem?

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Considering that when a user checks out his cart, you don't know if he is actually going to purchase or not. So your question is puzzling because 100% of purchases will have scCheckout… unless you're tracking scCheckout in a way that doesn't ultimately result in a purchase.

Community Advisor

Given your requirements, the closest that I can think of is to get a count of visits that had at least 1 scCheckout.

E.g. a calculated metric like so:

(Visit segment where Checkouts >= 1)

- Visits

To make it equitable with the purchases, you'd then also want a count of visits that had at least 1 purchase.

Level 5
In that case, conversion rate will get impacted. If client asks for full report of user scCheckout & order metrics then it will lead to confusion

Community Advisor
Maybe if you can elaborate more on what is your ultimate business objective that you're trying to achieve, then we can see what can be done in AA to answer that.

Level 5
I want a report where when user make a purchase there must be a 1 scCheckout count & 1 order count. If user doesn't make purchase & goes to checkout page multiple times then scCheckout count should be 1 & purchase 0.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @dinesh_kumar_r ,

From what it sounds like, your best bet would be to SERIALIZE the event.  Our team has done this before where we serialized using a Cart ID and by doing this, the Checkout step only gets fired ONCE per purchase.  Does that sound like a solution for your business problem?

Jeff Bloomer

Level 5
Hi jeff, can you please elaborate more on this. I mean how to implement it technically , on which page which event needs to be serialized & how this will get linked with purchase event because scCheckout & purchase event will fire on different pages.

Community Advisor

Hi dinesh_b_kumar_, if you want to have a pure funnel, you may want to start serializing from the time your Customer opens their cart (scOpen). At that time is when you would establish your cartID.

For example:

s.events = "scOpen:{cartID}";

You could then call the cartID each time the user progresses through the funnel:
viewCart
scCheckout
purchase

To answer your question, when you fire scCheckout, it would then look like this:
s.events = "scCheckout:{cartID}";

I would NOT recommend serializing scAdd, because you want to know how many times someone adds an item to cart, and scOpen should be fired the first time the customer adds an item to their cart.  Now, if you are interested in knowing how many times a customer actually views their cart or checks out, you then have the option of implementing additional, custom events that you could fire at the same time so you can also see the number of times a customer views their cart or checks out before they actually make their purchase.
Make sense?
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/events/event-seriali... 

Jeff Bloomer