Expand my Community achievements bar.

Click tracking previous page

Level 4

How do I track clicks on a page ('get-mobile-app'), BUT ONLY if the user was on a page1, page2 or page3

I've tried using the previous/next report but that doesn't seem to get me what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Community Advisor

The easiest way would probably be to creating some eVars for tracking URL and PageName (something that can be added to ALL hits, page views and actions) so that you can use direct correlation on your clicks to the page they were on...

Without that, you would have to do a complex segment, but the problem is, you would be looking for Visits with stuff like:

Page 1 THEN within 1 Hit, "get-mobile-app"

But the problem is, once this is true in the visit, all the hits would be returned, assuming the user clicked on "get-mobile-app" multiple times and from different pages...

The easiest really would be to look just for HITs that are "get-mobile-app" and the correlation page is "Page 1"

In theory, you might be able to use custom "last touch" in visit attribution on your click event, but you would need a custom event on those clicks (custom attribution isn't available on the standard "Custom Link Instances" metric.....)

Level 4

Hi Jennifer,

I have an evar set up to track as an exit click on the 'get-mobile-app" - but I only want to know if the user was on a few select pages before that.  (This is actually part of an Adobe Target A/B Test).  I want to isolate visits that were exposed to the experience when they land on the 'get-mobile-app' page.  My problem seems to be setting all that up in a visualization.

Community Advisor

I understand what you are trying to pull, but I am telling you that a sequential segment won't be 100% accurate for what you are trying to do...

Let's look at some examples:

Visit 1

• Page 1
  • Click on "get-mobile-app"
  • Page 2
  • Page 3

Visit 2

• Page 1
  • Page 3
  • Page 4

Visit 3

• Page 3
  • Page 2

Visit 4

• Page 2
  • Page 5

Now, let's say your A/B test only wants to look at Page 2 followed by Click "get-mobile-app"

You would create a segment like:

VISIT

PageName equals "Page 2"

THEN within 1 Hit

Click equals "get-mobile-app"

The problem is that this segment is going to pull back ALL hits from Visit 1 and Visit 3 above, and when you look at the clicks, you will see:

get-mobile-app clicks

Page 1              1

Page 2              3

Page 3              2

Page 4              1

(You will see pages that you still don't want)

The VISIT level scope of the segment matches a sequence within the visit, but pulls back the entire visit.

Now, you could try applying the "Only Before Sequence" or "Only After Sequence", but as you can see in my examples, there are visits when the clicks on other pages happened before, and other visits where there were clicks after... and you can't apply both profiles to the sequence (ie. only return the specified sequence)

But what I was saying about coding those links... let's say you are using eVar1 to hold "get-mobile-app"... if you also have eVar2 hold the page name (i.e. "Page 2") and eVar3 hold the page URL (i.e. "https://www.domain.com/page2/") The correlation would be easy, and so would the segment:

HIT

eVar2 equals "Page 2"

AND

eVar1 equals "get-mobile-app"

No sequence logic, no chance of other pages being returned, simply clicks on "get-mobile-app" on Page 2 (what you are asking for)

Level 10

This sounds like you are passing a link click value of 'get-mobile-app' on several different pages.  We set a variable with referring page. It is specific to click tracking and sent in the same call as the link click value. You can then correlate the referring page to the referring page value to see on which pages the click took place.

So in the call, for example:

• var1, click value: "get-mobile-app"
  • var2, referring page: "pageB"

Our actual implementation (which we have been using it since 2006) is a bit more complicated than the example suggests. In this method, the link code is stored in a browser’s Cookie and is read on the next page load. The link value is then sent in the destination page’s beacon call along with different referring values such as referring page.

RobertBlakeley_2-1697728725825.png