Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Classification Rule Builder Snafu: None Bucket in Creative Elements - and not grouped under none bucket for Parent Classification/Rule i.e. Campaigns Parent. How is this possible?

Level 3

Curious if anyone knows why we have a giant none bucket under one of our campaigns parent classifications/channels and it somehow isn't all grouped under the None bucket for the parent classification i.e. Campaigns parent.  Anybody know how/why this could happen?  Its going back quite some time and I was told that it was because of a misclassification error that I made that had a 1 month look-back window.  Basically I put an extra separator in a regex rule that ended up like a catchall and put all the tracking codes under one channel of campaigns.  However it only had a one month lookback window and when I reverted it a few days later- I was told that I apparently had caused this none bucket to incur more unclassified/misclassified tracking codes- but I'm not sure how that can make sense.

TL;DR:

1) Does anybody know how/why Campaigns Parent has a None bucket with misclassified tracking codes and when I go to a channel in campaigns parent and break it down by Display- how does that have a none bucket as well? 

2) Is this from a historical error of misclassifications?  Could this be the result of the one month lookback I did with my classification rule error - which I had corrected after it being noticed after a few days? 

Side Note:

*I'm assuming that maybe it had to do with an old misclassification that had somehow been classified by the campaigns parent channel that this none bucket was appearing under- and that maybe it didn't have a creative elements classification rule and that somewhere along the line maybe these rules were removed- which maybe is why I can't see it at bald face/front-and-center any rules that could have caused this.  Just wanted to make mention of this as well, because the classification rule builder is an increasingly confusing tool and I'm a little hesitant that I caused this break and that maybe historically there was some misclassifications in the past that had already been removed before I had come on the team, but I'm not sure how it's possible and hoping for some confirmation/explanation on this.  Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

ok this is better ideally looking at your upload template would answer all.(even if its blank)

From what I see you need to look at your classification hierarchy as well  I assume all this is under something like a campaign ID?.

Typically I would like to see

key value(like an ID) column A

Campaign column B

Creative Elements column C

Your excel file will then have:

A-> B -> C columns.

When a new id is captured under A, if you then do not specify(upload) all columns to have data you may see none. Typically though they appear as unspecified.

I would do a File export of classification for your key variable. Then look at all IDs in key variable(column A) that have blanks in B or C. Fix blanks and rerun your report then.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

I have seen a couple times sub/classifications get messed up. The issue here is a bit difficult to envision if you had a screen grab of a report and an example of upload(even if you fake the contents of a few lines it would help.

Level 3

Can you see better here with this screenshot/snap?  How  if I break down a campaigns parent classification with Creative elements- that there is a none bucket under both of them, when I thought it would all rollup under campaigns none bucket.  Overall, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to fix this, but more importantly- WHY is the None being bucketed under both a parent category (the "none bucket in campaigns parent) and also under the child categories ( the "none" bucket in creative elements for display)....

*When you would think all of the unclassified tracking codes would simply rollup to the highest level (the campaigns parent) and stay in there rather than appear in creative elements as well... This make more sense, and more helpful?  Thank you SO much for your quick reply!!!

2017_11_16_11_39_26_01688b82_6fac_463f_a593_9189ca98bf9c.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

ok this is better ideally looking at your upload template would answer all.(even if its blank)

From what I see you need to look at your classification hierarchy as well  I assume all this is under something like a campaign ID?.

Typically I would like to see

key value(like an ID) column A

Campaign column B

Creative Elements column C

Your excel file will then have:

A-> B -> C columns.

When a new id is captured under A, if you then do not specify(upload) all columns to have data you may see none. Typically though they appear as unspecified.

I would do a File export of classification for your key variable. Then look at all IDs in key variable(column A) that have blanks in B or C. Fix blanks and rerun your report then.

Level 3

Does this seem like the culprit?  (i.e. because according to the conversion classifications- it looks like creative elements is being treated like the parent classification hence why the none bucket is populating in both creative elements and campaign).  So it would basically proactively fix the problem if we were to switch the two to where creative was actually at a lower hierarchy compared to campaigns and if we were to get a unclassified tracking code then it would only populate in the Campaigns Parent "none" bucket?  Does this make sense or do you think this would solve the problem and remove it from the none bucket in creative elements- moving forward at least as time goes on after it is adjusted?  See this screenshot of the hierarchy I found earlier today:

2017-11-17 15_17_30-Report Suite Manager.png

Level 3

Actually it looks like it should be a sub-set or a child seated "under" campaigns parent for it to remove the none bucket from creative elements- from doing some online reading in the documentation here and here:

Multiple-Level Classifications

Create a classification hierarchy

1351178_pastedImage_2.png

Community Advisor

Dear Daniel,

First, kindly do not select Occurrences as a metric for Campaigns or Tracking Codes. You need to select Tracking Code Instances as metric if you are using WorkSpace.

Let me know if you are still seeing a hug amount of 'None' traffic to discuss on the next possible items.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 3

Pratheep,

There was a reason I used occurences to keep my information slightly confidential.  So yes, it does get a significant amount attributed to "none" whether I use visits, or any conversion/traffic metric/event that can be used with campaigns variable.  To give you an idea - the none bucket ranks about 2nd place out of all of the subsets under creative elements- so there is a significant amount as it is about 40% of my creative elements visits traffic overall.

Community Advisor

Thanks for the information Daniel,

Hope you will be using either Classification Rule Builder or Classification Importer to bucket the tracking codes based on Campaigns and Creative Elements.

As said by Pab, you need to check whether all the tracking codes are properly mapped to Campaigns and Creative elements. Sub-relate the 'None' category to see the list of tracking codes. Copy those tracking codes and verify it with the classification importer file or key in for testing the Classification Rule Builder to find the gap.

Thank You!

Arun