Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Classification Importer Lookback Window?

Level 1

Hello.

I know Classification Rule Builder has a lookback window you can customize, and has limitations (I believe 6 months). Does the Classification Importer (browser upload or FTP) have the same limited lookback window, or is that lookback window much larger? I have not found a straight answer on experienceleague.adobe.com

Thanks!

-C

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If there's a lookback window, I've never encountered it… at least, when looking at reports with a date range that's within a year of the current day.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If there's a lookback window, I've never encountered it… at least, when looking at reports with a date range that's within a year of the current day.

Community Advisor

When I upload /update data via ftp or upload I see historical data update in some cases for years. You should expect the data to be adjust for as long as the key variable existed.

Community Advisor

Classifications work like lookup tables that are evaluated whenever a report runs. It does not matter when a Classification value has been created or when the data has been tracked, as long as there is a lookup when the report is executed it will respect the Classification.

We have two ways to populate the lookup tables: First, we can use the Classification Importer through the frontend, FTP upload, or API. Second, we can use the Classification Rule Builder. But what does that actually do?

Classification Rule Builder does a few things:

1. It queries for tracked values for the date range we set in the interface. If we select 6 months, it will basically run a report for the last 6 months for the dimension you are classifying. If we select the "only set unset values" option, it will filter the report to only include Unspecified classification values.
  2. Based on the values from the first steps, it will run the rules we defined and create a list of new Classification entries.
  3. That list will then be uploaded and inserted into the lookup table just like any other Classification.

This means that there is no difference in where a Classification came from. We can upload it manually or use Rule Builder, it will always end up in the same lookup table. There is no dependency on the timing of values, besides that new values can override already set values, so the report will always include whatever can be found in the lookup table at the time the report runs.

If you run a report today for today's data based on a Classification, then change the classified value, and then run the same report for today's data tomorrow, the report from tomorrow will show the updated value that would have been reported differently today. The 6-month-limit in the Rule Builder only limits the date range for which it queries for tracked values, not which values are reported.