Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Circumvent IP block in Omniture to track one's own behavior?

Level 5

Hi! In our Adobe Analytics' settings the IP range of the whole company is excluded, in order not to inflate the numbers in the reports. Is there any way for me to circumvent this exclusion, so I can see my behavior in Analytics reports? Maybe there is some tool? Where does Analytics get the information about my IP adress?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

One possible way you could achieve this without impacting your current setup is to use a Vista rule to route traffic from those company IPs into an internal report suite (as this would happen before your report suites exclude the data).  A DB Vista Rule can be setup, and reference a table of IP Address ranges that you're able to update via FTP.  We currently use DB Vista rules to route internal traffic to one report suite, and bots/aggregators into a different report suite as well.  Simply excluding these wouldn't allow us to see how much of an impact this traffic is having, so we keep the data in separate report suites.  (and yes, the data is also correctly represented in data warehouse extracts.  It's contradictory to how some adobe materials portray the timing of Vista Rules, but is good)

It's probably going to be the least effort on your development side (all you need to do is tell Adobe the IP ranges), but will require the initial adobe $$$ to setup.

Some generic info on Vista rules can be found in this blog post (seems pretty old, but a good overview anyway).

http://semphonic.blogs.com/semangel/2009/06/omniture-vista-rules-getting-more-from-your-omniture-imp...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

HI there,

Thanks for reaching out. 

We need to check whether it is possible or not. Please allow us some time to test this and we will get back to you. 

You can read through the documentation till then:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/exclude_IP.html

Thanks!

Employee Advisor

Most customers use a separate report suite to track internal behavior. If it's just yourself you want to test, you could use a dev report suite.

Level 5

I know this would be best practice, but unfortunately the structure has grown as it is over time and it would need additional development efforts to change that. This would be a long term solution, maybe there's a short term solution to it. Changes via admin console would be handy.

Correct answer by
Level 4

One possible way you could achieve this without impacting your current setup is to use a Vista rule to route traffic from those company IPs into an internal report suite (as this would happen before your report suites exclude the data).  A DB Vista Rule can be setup, and reference a table of IP Address ranges that you're able to update via FTP.  We currently use DB Vista rules to route internal traffic to one report suite, and bots/aggregators into a different report suite as well.  Simply excluding these wouldn't allow us to see how much of an impact this traffic is having, so we keep the data in separate report suites.  (and yes, the data is also correctly represented in data warehouse extracts.  It's contradictory to how some adobe materials portray the timing of Vista Rules, but is good)

It's probably going to be the least effort on your development side (all you need to do is tell Adobe the IP ranges), but will require the initial adobe $$$ to setup.

Some generic info on Vista rules can be found in this blog post (seems pretty old, but a good overview anyway).

http://semphonic.blogs.com/semangel/2009/06/omniture-vista-rules-getting-more-from-your-omniture-imp...