Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Can I use prop values in event with visit or visitor?

Level 6

There is a click event which triggers on specific dom element visibility on page load. For example it will show some random number value in page load and the value is captured in prop. Can I use the prop value in that event along with visits and visitors to see how many visitors or visits were shown with that prop value?

event prop.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Absolutely. Props are just simple variables that have no custom expiry (i.e. they are always Hit level) and are limited to 100 characters. eVars are more complex variables that you can set a longer expiry (visit level, expire after event x, or yes, even set to Hit level) and are limited to 255 characters.

I use both props and evars on all my events. 

Anyone who says you can only use eVars on events (which seemed to be an old school belief - which didn't seemed to be based on any logic) is misinformed. Keep your implementation lean, you don't need to replicate values in both eVars and Props - use the dimension that makes sense based on their unique properties; and use them on page views and actions as needed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 2

Hi aagk123,

I think you can easily do it with the help of Analysis Workspace. Workspace allows you to select props / vars as dimensions and break it with any of the metric available at the time of the hit being recorded. Check the below view. Is this the one you are looking for?

thelearningproject_0-1665587873580.png

Regards,

Ritesh Gupta

www.thelearningproject.in

Level 6

I know how to do it but my question is it right approach to use prop in event with visits or visitors?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Absolutely. Props are just simple variables that have no custom expiry (i.e. they are always Hit level) and are limited to 100 characters. eVars are more complex variables that you can set a longer expiry (visit level, expire after event x, or yes, even set to Hit level) and are limited to 255 characters.

I use both props and evars on all my events. 

Anyone who says you can only use eVars on events (which seemed to be an old school belief - which didn't seemed to be based on any logic) is misinformed. Keep your implementation lean, you don't need to replicate values in both eVars and Props - use the dimension that makes sense based on their unique properties; and use them on page views and actions as needed.

Level 6

So can i use unique visitors with the event prop and can say so many visitors have seen that value?

Community Advisor

You would need to build a calculated metric with a segment to get that Unique Visitors number.

Calculated metric:

(segment Visitor-scope: prop1 exists)

| Unique Visitors

Community Advisor

You can... 

However, you need to know if the prop is set anywhere else (like on Page Views)

If this is limited to just the action... or if you just want to know all users who got value X in Prop Y (regardless of being on the action) this is perfectly fine.

IF you need to limit this report to users who got Value X on Prop Y on the tracking Event ONLY (and this prop is set in multiple places) then you should create a segment to ensure the limitation is in place.

Community Advisor

Technically, you only need the segment if you are trying to use the event as part of the equation - since you cannot stack metrics (UV and Event X).

But, if you are just looking at UVs by the prop value, no segment is required.

If your prop is only being used on the event, this is fine... if potentially the same value could be used on the page OR the action, and you want to limit the UVs to only the action, I agree, use a segment to limit it.

You can also use a Hit level segment (prop x exists AND Event X exists) then you can use this one segment with any metric (Visits, UVs, etc)

I also would avoid using a Visitor Level scope in this exact context for a very important reason... that segment will return all users who ever got a value in that prop.... used in isolation, this would lead to a lot of over counting.... every user who ever got a prop1 value that happened to be on the site this month (the segment is calculated first... before the time frame on your report... then your report will show you all the visitors who came to your site in that time frame who ever, in their lifetime, had a prop1 - not who had a prop1 during the report timeframe)

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan wrote:

Anyone who says you can only use eVars on events (which seemed to be an old school belief - which didn't seemed to be based on any logic) is misinformed.

Actually, it's not misinformation but outdated information.

Before Analysis Workspace was introduced, there was really no way to report on Success Events with props / Traffic Variables. You had to use eVars / Conversion Variables only. Why? Because that's how the product had been designed since its Omniture days (i.e. before Adobe bought it).

With Analysis Workspace, Adobe broke down that barrier, so now you can freely mix-and-match all dimensions (props, eVars) with all metrics (pageviews, visits, success events).

Those who still track the same values in both eVars and props probably still think that there is this limitation. But @Jennifer_Dungan is right; with Analysis Workspace, you don't need to have such duplication any more.

Community Advisor

Yes, true... back in the old days the report correlations were harder... though the data was still accessible in the Data Warehouse exports... you could correlate evars and props together here... the limitation existed in the Reports.

It's much easier now in Workspace