Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Campaign Variable

Level 1

Hi,

Just wanted to doublecheck the viability of using s.campaign variable for internal campaigns. As far as I know that is a bad practice but I want to be sure. On the other hand, just wondering if a new visit is fired when a s.campaign is fired

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I would recommend using a different variable for tracking internal campaigns. These campaigns are not affecting your marketing channels, since the user has already landed on your site. Also use a separate query parameter for the tracking.

Unlike Google Analytics, a new visit is not defined by s.campaign value. And neither does the change of day break a visit.

There are 4 conditions that govern a visit in Adobe Analytics, which you can read here:

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/components/variables/metrics/metrics-visit.html

Regards,

Hyder

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I would recommend using a different variable for tracking internal campaigns. These campaigns are not affecting your marketing channels, since the user has already landed on your site. Also use a separate query parameter for the tracking.

Unlike Google Analytics, a new visit is not defined by s.campaign value. And neither does the change of day break a visit.

There are 4 conditions that govern a visit in Adobe Analytics, which you can read here:

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/components/variables/metrics/metrics-visit.html

Regards,

Hyder

Level 1

Many thanks for your quick reponse

Would you recommend a custom evar instead, right?

On the other hand, using s.campaigns for internal campaigns affects negatively to marketing channels?

thanks

Community Advisor

I use 2 campaigns variables.

s.campaign for external

evar1 for internal.

That way we differentiate both int vs ext. We also then ensure we don't overwrite each other.

Employee Advisor

Yes, I would recommend using a custom evar. Note that s.campaign variable is also an evar (a glorified one).

Your external campaign is to determine what is bringing customers to your site. While your internal campaigns ensures you engage them with what you need them to do.