Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Calculate key metrics excluding bounced visitors.

Level 2

Has anyone calculated key metrics and excluded any visitors who bounced? How did you do this?  My internal client wants to know the following key metrics excluding anyone who bounced:  Average Time on Site, Page Views, Page Views per Unique Visitor.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Similar to @Hemang35's answer, you also need to think about what your definition of a "bounce" is....

Adobe's default Bounce is a single "hit", not a single "page view"... we don't actually like that as a bounce rate, and so we created a custom bounce rate that looks specifically at "Single Page Visits / Visits"

Single Page Visits is available in your segment builder, so you could simply use this to exclude your "bounces" (IF you are only counting a Single Page View as a bounce):

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1681417611492.png

Then you can use this in your calculated metrics.... 

However, if you are using Adobe's definition of a bounce... i.e. Single Hit in a visit, then this won't exclude the same people that Adobe identified...

Unfortunately, Bounces isn't available in the segment builder.... neither is Occurrences...  so trying to exclude only single "hit" data could be tricky... I am not sure if we can properly exclude Bounces as per Adobe's definition... (unless you happen to have a custom event on every hit that you could use as a proxy to exclude visits with more than 1 hit....similar to the other solution looking at PVs).

I did want to make sure you were aware of the single hit vs single page differences... this may not impact you... maybe all your actions also pair with additional page views... but if you track anything like overlay impressions, close overlay, expand and collapse element on the page which would trigger additional hits without additional page views, you will find there could be a large discrepancy. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @mhallnorvell1 

To exclude bounced visitors from key metrics, create a segment in Adobe Analytics:

1. Open Segment Builder and create a new segment.
  2. Name it "Non-Bounced Visits."
  3. Add a "Visit" container with "Page Views" dimension.
  4. Set condition to "Greater than" with value "1" to exclude single-page visits.
  5. Save and apply the segment to your reports.

Now, you can analyze metrics like Average Time on Site, Page Views, and Page Views per Unique Visitor without considering bounced visitors.

Level 2

Thank you so much Hemang35, this suits my internal client's needs.

Community Advisor

I agree with @Jennifer_Dungan and @Hemang35 that I prefer single page visit as bounce vs. single hit.

I believe Adobe has a built-in segment that will help, here's how it's named in our sandbox.

Josh_KC_2-1681515058256.png

Josh_KC_0-1681514988387.png

Community Advisor

Yes, that was the Metric I showed in my example too

Exclude Visits where "Single Page Visits" exists....

I find that a lot simpler than "Page Views greater than 1" (both work... but it just about ease of reading and use)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Similar to @Hemang35's answer, you also need to think about what your definition of a "bounce" is....

Adobe's default Bounce is a single "hit", not a single "page view"... we don't actually like that as a bounce rate, and so we created a custom bounce rate that looks specifically at "Single Page Visits / Visits"

Single Page Visits is available in your segment builder, so you could simply use this to exclude your "bounces" (IF you are only counting a Single Page View as a bounce):

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1681417611492.png

Then you can use this in your calculated metrics.... 

However, if you are using Adobe's definition of a bounce... i.e. Single Hit in a visit, then this won't exclude the same people that Adobe identified...

Unfortunately, Bounces isn't available in the segment builder.... neither is Occurrences...  so trying to exclude only single "hit" data could be tricky... I am not sure if we can properly exclude Bounces as per Adobe's definition... (unless you happen to have a custom event on every hit that you could use as a proxy to exclude visits with more than 1 hit....similar to the other solution looking at PVs).

I did want to make sure you were aware of the single hit vs single page differences... this may not impact you... maybe all your actions also pair with additional page views... but if you track anything like overlay impressions, close overlay, expand and collapse element on the page which would trigger additional hits without additional page views, you will find there could be a large discrepancy. 

Level 2

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for calling that out.  I'll definitely check-in with my Analytics lead and confirm our definitions.  But for the purposes of my internal client's needs, Hemang's solution suffices.  This community is great - my first time using it.