Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Button tracking using data layer manager

Level 5

Hi everybody!

I´ve been setting up our buttons´ clicks using the data layer manager. Because our site is super simple, our dev created only event data layer and I configured each one (there are only 7) as a rule and its own event on the report suite. 

I've been testing on our dev environment and it seems we are getting the data. However, because I did that as an event, I have to select each event and use it on the metric field. (as bellow)

fern1_1-1663689893256.png

For our app we did both, set up as an event and also as a processing rule, this way I can see all the actions in a table. 

fern1_0-1663689742754.png

How can I do that in this case? Would I also have to create a data element for it and also an evar?

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You may also want to look at activity map tracking.

1 no extra dev work out of box

2 can allow you to do advanced mappings links/regions reporting

3 allows you to due near realtime (basic heatmaps) on page vis browser extension

Then just use custom links when coding/pae doesnt auto track activity map...

GLTU

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Adobe "click" actions have a default parameter called Link Name (it will show up in Workspace as "Custom Link")

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1663694829406.png

In your app, your trackActions also pass a value that will populate this field (though it should be noted that the app will append "AMACTION:" to the beginning of the custom link value (there is nothing you can do to prevent this )

The Occurrences metric will trigger on all page views and actions automatically.. so if you have Custom Link set, you should be able to see it like your App table already, just use "Custom Link" as your breakdown and Occurrences as the metric (assuming of course that you set unique values for your Custom Links when you did your tracking)

However, if you have set up a custom eVar or Prop called "Action Name" you should be able to set this value in Adobe Launch on your clicks, or map it in with processing rules (it really comes down to personal preference). 

You can set up any props, eVars, events, etc etc that you want on your button clicks/actions. Just like page views, you can populate any correlation values that you need to give your action insights.

You can use both solutions if you choose.. a custom event for each button, and the occurrences (just like you have for your app) there are many ways to accomplish this... but it's hard to rally give direct advice without seeing your implementation, but hopefully these tips help, and if you need more advice, please let me know.

Community Advisor

I forgot to mention, if you are sending your app and website to the same suite, you can use the same eVars, etc... this is what I do... I do however have prop that I set to indicate the platform (I include this on all hits - page views and actions), so that I can easily create segments to isolate web from app when I need to, but have everything roll up into a one consolidated report at other times.

Level 5

Thank you once more Jen! 

Just to clarify, our app and the website are two different things. I only used the app actions to illustrate that I would like this visualization for the web (all the actions in a column, not a row)..

I did set up the click in the tracking as you showed in the picture and set up it button click as an event.. will also try as eVar. 
Those buttons we are tracking are the ones chosen by the business so to see specific journeys/paths, we are not tracking all of them.

But I also just did like you suggested and activated the activity map.. gonna test in now in the dev stage to see if it is working properly.

Community Advisor

Good Luck!

One thing about Activity Map that you should be aware of... Activity Map normally defers the "click" data to the next page (this is how it reduces the server calls, by attaching additional context data to the following page view about the click on the previous page. When you have an actual Click tracking set up, that data will attach to the click (rather than the next page). Knowing this can help you understand the data if you are looking at it in Workspace and creating segments with the information (this is something I do, I haven't used the Plugin that shows overlays for years)

Level 5

@Jennifer_Dungan I´ve been playing around and following the post you posted below. I managed to install the chrome extension without an issue (also managed to login) and the toolbar appeared, however, I closed it (clicking on the x icon), and now when I activate the plugin the toolbar doesn't show anymore. 

I got to the website´s page, click on the activity map icon, it turns purple and I get a tooltip saying "activity map has access to this site" but the toolbar doesn't show

fern1_0-1663845971435.png

do you know how can I get it back?

Community Advisor

Try another tab, or closing and reopening your browser? The plugin is a bit finicky.... I actually haven't used the plugin in many years... I use the raw data collected in Workspace.

Level 5

I think I found out.. it takes a while for it to work after you turn on the activity map option.. the one I did yesterday only started working a few hours ago.. so the ones I did this morning will probably only work at the end of the day..

still, about the subject tho, any specific reason why "unspecified" is so high? also getting a high unspecified number for the activity map page.

fern1_0-1663859929604.png

thanks as usual

Community Advisor

Data for Activity Map is processed at the same rate as the rest of your data... our sites have about a 45 min latency... However, the JS changes may be cached, so some users may still not have the code loading yet.

As for why you have so many Unspecifieds... you are looking at all of Sept, you only just turned this on... so all the days before using this wouldn't have a value and will show as unspecified in your reports.

You should also know, there are some specific metrics that you can use with Activity Map links (Activity Map Link Instances for example, this will get rid of those unspecified, since only the links where data is collected will show up - cutting out pre-Activity Map data and all first page views where no links were clicked).

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You may also want to look at activity map tracking.

1 no extra dev work out of box

2 can allow you to do advanced mappings links/regions reporting

3 allows you to due near realtime (basic heatmaps) on page vis browser extension

Then just use custom links when coding/pae doesnt auto track activity map...

GLTU

Community Advisor

I absolutely second this.. I only track the really important clicks (like path to subscription), other than that Activity Map all the way.

Here's a great blog post on the subject:

https://www.fullstackanalyst.io/blog/adobe-analytics/understanding-and-getting-the-most-out-of-activ...